Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Over a year and frustrated  (Read 1248 times)

Offline kawi_girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: Over a year and frustrated
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
Yes, I am going to PT, usually once a week. Thatís just for a follow up,and some modalities and we talk about things that are working and things that arenít. I also research and bring ideas for her to consider and we decide if itís worth trying. Much different than my previous visits to physio, I was more hopeful then and have tried 3 other 6 plus week programs. The last one I did for 12 weeks. Itís not like I thought the PFP would be completely gone yet I never had even a bit of lasting improvement. So this time I am getting much more involved, informed and asking way more questions.
Between visits I follow a home program. We are going to try some exercises every second or third day now, yet when I do them work to 70% muscle fatigue. The idea is to have a rest day in between as rest is part of making gains. There are some things I will still do everyday.
I feel like an experiment!

Offline Userhere123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
Yes, I am going to PT, usually once a week. Thatís just for a follow up,and some modalities and we talk about things that are working and things that arenít. I also research and bring ideas for her to consider and we decide if itís worth trying. Much different than my previous visits to physio, I was more hopeful then and have tried 3 other 6 plus week programs. The last one I did for 12 weeks. Itís not like I thought the PFP would be completely gone yet I never had even a bit of lasting improvement. So this time I am getting much more involved, informed and asking way more questions.
Between visits I follow a home program. We are going to try some exercises every second or third day now, yet when I do them work to 70% muscle fatigue. The idea is to have a rest day in between as rest is part of making gains. There are some things I will still do everyday.
It's awesome that you doing a research any trying new things.
I was going to a PT before, where I blindly trust her and go with the things she said. I went to that pt for about 14 visits i.e around 3 and a half months. No improvement in my symptoms. I never been to PT before. So, I just trusted her and she only gave me basic strengthening exercises.
Then I switched to a different PT. He tried aggressive dry needling for quad and scar tissue. He revised my home exercises and his approach was completely different.
He tried various things in the clinic and told me to do exercises at home. My previous pt ask me to come twice a week, the new PT ask me to come in once in 2 weeks.
The new PT also tried foam rolling. So, that gives new discomfort and pain in the knee. He said it's good that it makes some changes inside rather nothing.
So,I don't know what else to try.  I am just doing the exercises everyday. How often you get pain?
My pain is like burning pain throughout the day and night. Whenever I sit, stand and lie down. So, it's been throughout the day. The same level of burning pain. No changes in the pain from day 1.
Due to the current Coronavirus situation, PT office having tele appointments. So I am not going to PT. Best keeping up with home exercises. 

Offline Userhere123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
It's awesome that you doing a research any trying new things.
I was going to a PT before, where I blindly trust her and go with the things she said. I went to that pt for about 14 visits i.e around 3 and a half months. No improvement in my symptoms. I never been to PT before. So, I just trusted her and she only gave me basic strengthening exercises.
Then I switched to a different PT. He tried aggressive dry needling for quad and scar tissue. He revised my home exercises and his approach was completely different.
He tried various things in the clinic and told me to do exercises at home. My previous pt ask me to come twice a week, the new PT ask me to come in once in 2 weeks.
The new PT also tried foam rolling. So, that gives new discomfort and pain in the knee. He said it's good that it makes some changes inside rather nothing.
So,I don't know what else to try.  I am just doing the exercises everyday. How often you get pain?
My pain is like burning pain throughout the day and night. Whenever I sit, stand and lie down. So, it's been throughout the day. The same level of burning pain. No changes in the pain from day 1.
Due to the current Coronavirus situation, PT office having tele appointments. So I am not going to PT. Just keeping up with home exercises. 

Offline kawi_girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Yes, my PT has also been cancelled and I donít have the online option so Iím just continuing on my own.
My pain is worse in my right than the left, and lately feels like my knee is full of pressure and there is pain with bending with a load, so up and down stairs is difficult. The pain will fluctuate over the coarse of the day. I use ice at least three times a day for 20 minutes and that seems to finally have started to reduce the inflamed feeling that I experience. That is after over a month of icing in that manner, and I say that itís somewhat improved yet my answer there is guarded.
I am trying a different approach to my hip and leg strengthening in that I do reps and sets to about a 7/10 muscle fatigue yet have at least a days rest in between. So different exercises each day with some days having more to do than others.
Quad sets are done everyday, to help with my synovial fluid...the idea there is to help heal the joint. Iím told that can take up to two months before any improvements may start to show.
As I may have mentioned before, itís just one big experiment yet I donít feel completely blind as Iím basing my plan on lots of research and keeping in mind all the things Iíve tried that havenít been successful.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
Userhere123: Boy do I understand your frustration and I hope that you get some answers soon or at least a good routine to try. We all need hope and as long as you can keep learning about your issue and trying things to help you can maintain hope.

Mind you, I sure have my moments of doubt, and confusion as to all the different approaches out there.

I just finished  a book by Doug Kelsey and while I thought it provided some insightful information, it also has confused me a bit. Some say to do your knee strengthening up to 3 times a day, where his approach is different exercises every second day. Working up to mild muscle fatigue. His thoughts actually make more sense to me, isnít one of the keys to strengthening is providing a rest day?
Also, while his program sounds good and he says he doesnít endorse and equipment manufacturers, I feel what he is then lacking are alternative exercises you could do if you donít have the stuff heís using.
I do agree with the use it or lose it idea. Yet he doesnít talk about how much rest, or whether itís ok to have some discomfort while carrying on. I am finding that the rest Iím taking is not making much of a difference, an some days it seems to make thing worse.
SuspectDevice, I am hoping (againj for your thoughts here! :)

My path was pretty much just a random wander in the park!

I did not have the Kelsey equipment either (the Total Gym) but was able to rig up something in the gym which was similar.  But I didn't stick at it for long as it did not seem to be helping.

Then, once things felt a bit better due to the Celebrex, I started doing my own things which were a much heavier load than he was suggesting (i.e. deadlifts, kettlebell swings, sissy squats using a frame for balance).  I only did those things 2-3x/week max, and I got some discomfort during, and pain after, but I persisted out of frustration of having lost so much strength.  After maybe 6-12mths, I saw good improvements, and have kept up those heavier sessions 2x/week.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2020 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

support