Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Over a year and frustrated  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Kneegrump

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Over a year and frustrated
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
Hi suspect device,

I have seen quite a few of your posts and it seems you have have had the same problem as me, basically tissue overload. For me it was 6 days of continuous cycling 100 miles a day with 3000m of climbing each day. I suspect The lack of recovery between each day and my age counted against me. I now believe as you get older you need more recovery time. Also as you I suspect my Glutes were relatively weak, resulting all the force through my knees.

Anyway as you have said there is no quick fix for this. It is a slow tortuous process of increasing the load tolerance of the knees. On an optimistic note, I hope to be recovered within a year. But I think it is impossible to say for sure Probably depends much on your genetics and age as to how quickly you can recover.

Interestingly, I have started to use CBD oil as a way of keeping a lid on the inflammation. It is early days but it appears to be having a positive effect. But it is not cheap!

Al

Offline kawi_girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2020, 03:47:36 PM »
Al,

Hope the CBD oil continues to have a positive effect. I just got a CDB massage stick, itís supposed to help with soreness and inflammation yet honestly I donít know if it has enough CBD in it to make a difference. These products arenít regulated so the strength of each is all over the board.

Unfortunately this past week I have experienced a bad flare up, mostly in the right yet the left has seen happier days. Itís times like this where it truly feels that there is damage in there, so much medial pain/burning and it also feels like something is going on with the tendons/muscles that run along the medial side. Itís so hard to know for certain. My MRI suggested some fat pad impingement (as I have previously mentioned) yet palpating my fat pad on either side of the tendon under the kneecap produces no pain. I guess the muscles along the medial side could be referred pain...

The scary part is I almost think Iím worse than last year at this time, unless my tolerance for discomfort has gotten less. Not to mention, I am less active than last year! Have you gone through something like this, on your journey to heal?

Offline kawi_girl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
Thought I would give an update and bump my own thread.

Very discouraged today. Thought I was finally making progress in the last few weeks and then had a huge flare up last night, with my left knee being worse, I needed to get up at midnight to ice it. It seems that my left knee is nw as bad as the right.

Where did I go wrong? I am getting SO SICK of limited ability, doing special exercises everyday, all to no real result.

I feel like Iíll be stuck with this forever.

I could really use some encouragement right now&#128546;

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
Hey kawi-girl.  If you have the money and your issues is inflammation look into lipogems.  I'm 7 weeks post op.  Prior to lipogems, I had a revolving set of six 3m icepacks and had to ice every hour.   As soon as my knees took the cold from one icepack, I'd apply the next.  Knees were on fire.  As of now, I no longer have to use icepacks.

NSAIDS, euflexxa, steroids-absolutely nothing worked.  I also had some cracking in my distal patella pole that was cause issues with pain and gaining strength and as of now it no longer cracks. 

I know it's been a long time for you but I'm almost 3 years into my journey-I understand your pain.  Lipogems will cost you an arm and leg if you go that route, insurance doesn't cover it, and you would have to travel to get it done (i traveled 4 hours and paid 4,000 dollars).  Most places don't do it and some places charge EXORBITANT prices.  PM me if you want me to point you in right direction.

The jury still out on how long this will last but I think it will be permanent- there were cells injected into my knees and they are obviously doing something good.

ps-i'd be highly skeptical about marijuana oil doing anything for inflammation.  These things just don't transfer through the skin very well, same will voltaren nsaid gel

GL

Offline kawi_girl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2020, 02:46:43 AM »
Hey kneegeek2020

Thanks for your reply! Lipogems-Iíll have to do some research on that. What was your original diagnosis? PFPS?

Sounds very expensive, I donít know if itís an option to be honest. Although if the outcome is good that might make it worth looking into. I appreciate you sharing that. Hope itís totally successful for you.

support