Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stem Cell (cartilage repair)  (Read 297 times)

Offline Balaclava

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Stem Cell (cartilage repair)
« on: December 15, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of / experience of this procedure i.e. does it work /  will it repair the tears to my meniscus?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Stem Cell (cartilage repair)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »
Meniscus tears donít really heal well, as the blood supply is poor. How old are you? Is it a traumatic tear or more a degenerate tear in a knee with wear and tear?Stem cells seem to have most value in reducing inflammation, not yet real proven to heal. Itís also very expensive, for example in the U.K. There are a couple of places offering fat derived cells.
Thereís some good info about newer developments in the learning portfolio if you have a search through
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Balaclava

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am 73 years old.  My knee 'broke' last July and I can now walk for long distances without any problems.  The knee however unable to take the strain of a golf swing.

I paid for an MRI scan. The report says:
There is an oblique tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus and there is a
partial tear of the posterior root attachment. There is a macerated degenerative tear of the body and posterior horn of the lateral meniscus.
There is chondral thinning in both tibiofemoral compartments which is maximally grade 4 in the mid lateral femoral condyle over a length of 15 millimetres.
There is irregular chondral erosion on the medial patellar facet with relatively preserved lateral patellofemoral cartilage. The cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact. There is popliteus tendonosis and there is a moderate joint effusion with synovial thickening and a bakers cyst.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:20:36 PM by Balaclava »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 03:30:21 PM »
Have you tried a brace for golf?
Have you discussed with a surgeon having the torn meniscus removed if itís causing bio mechanical issues? It doesnít sound like the arthritis is bad enough for a knee replacement but a tidy up followed by physio might help. Or even physio, the tendinitis might also be causing the issue behind the knee
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Balaclava

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 04:20:47 PM »
I have asked the physio here (UK) about a brace and they won't pay for it.  I have a F2F appt with physio on 5th Jan I will pursue that again with them  . . . . Thanks

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
No youíll have to pay for it yourself. A good quality offloader brace, which may not be right for you anyhow give the report says thereís arthritis in both the medial and lateral compartments is £400-500. That said it may well be worth it If youíre a regular golfer, which is in itself an expensive hobby so if youíre paying but unable to play, the investment may be worthwhile
A physio might be able to suggest a cheaper option.
Are you on a surgical waiting list as that might be the best option?
Even going private for arthroscopy will be cheaper than stem cells and should have a more reliable and immediate effect. SCs seem to cost £5k+ with no guarantee.
Given your age and wear and tear already in the knee, removing meniscus is unlikely to be detrimental long term vs doing nothing
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:37:24 PM by vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Balaclava

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
Am I on a surgical waiting list  . . . . .?  I've been banging that drum for 5 months "get me on the waiting list" and I cant get on the waiting list.  What I would like to know is why, when I can't get on that surgeons list because he is so busy, how come I can see him tomorrow if I pay (tomorrow during 9-5 when he's being paid to work for the NHS)? 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
His NHS contract likely isnít 9-5 M-F but a set number of hours across all 7 days. Or he may not have a FT NHS contract, so tomorrow is not an NHS contracted day.
Is how it has always worked and is rather complex!

A surgeon who a private practice but also an nhs practice can move you to his NHS list if he feels you meet the criteria. If youíve not got mechanical issues of locking or buckling due to the meniscus tear, you may not meet the current therapeutic criteria for menisectomy on the NHS. What symptoms are stopping you playing golf?

Your age might unfortunately be against you given Covid and the risk assessments being made. Perhaps have a chat with your GP and see if you can get a referral.
Is the physio appointment NHS? I think the MSK triage can also refer to orthopaedics if they feel surgery is the only option.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:18:27 PM by vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

support