Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Intense pain when standing up MPFL/TTO  (Read 456 times)

Offline Gabriel36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Intense pain when standing up MPFL/TTO
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:13:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

A week ago today I underwent surgery to treat my recurrent patellar dislocations. My MPFL was reconstructed using a graft from my quadriceps tendon and my tibial tubercle was medialized 1cm and distalized 1 cm. In general physiotherapy is going well and with pain medication I can do all my exercises and tolerate the pain (a physiotherapist comes to my place every day). My main problem is that whenever I get up from the bed (using a walker and non weight bearing) I get an intense pain at the site of the tibial tubercle transfer. I can move a short distance but in about 5 minutes the pain becomes overwhelming and I have to return to the bed. I understand that recovery is a long and hard process but this feels very disheartening. My main worry is that in 5 days time I have to go for my checkup and to take the stitches out. This will mean going 1 hour by car, down 2 flights of stairs and back up. Honestly I don't know how I managed to go up the stairs when I was discharged, I guess being pumped on painkillers got me through it. The thought of the trip to the hospital in 5 days is terrifying. Sorry for moaning so much but I thought  someone here might have some tips if not at least venting might help a bit. Thanks. :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:05:33 AM by Gabriel36 »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Intense pain when standing up MPFL/TTO
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »
What has the physio said about the pain?
You're very soon after major invasive surgery where bone has been cut, drilled etc (cutting through the periosteum on the outside of the bone is super painful)
If you've got a lot of swelling which is likely, the pain might be partly due to the swelling shifting due to gravity and blood draining down the leg as well as from the surgical trauma to the bones and structures in the knee

Try and ice before you get up so pain is reduced, see if that helps

Before you travel to your appointment, load up on pain meds, lie on the back seat of the car with your leg elevated on pillows with calf and ankle well supported. Does the hospital not have an elevator which seems astonishing? Contact them in advance and ask for someone to meet you with a wheelchair

Good luck, you need to think about recovery from such major surgery in terms of weeks if not months and not days and it won't be linear either, you'll have ups and downs along the journey. It's a marathon not a sprint
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support