Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibia plateau compression fracture.  (Read 84 times)

Offline Poohbear59

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibia plateau compression fracture.
« on: November 23, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
Six months ago I had Fibromyalgia and asthma. Now I have a tibia plateau fracture. Plus I have been recently been diagnosed with Hypermobile joint syndrome and osteoporosis since my accident. I am 60, had a tibia plateau fracture on 2nd September and feel that I am not progressing well enough. Ten weeks in I am still in a leg brace, not full weight bearing, have had no physio, and am feeling frustrated by my lack of progress.
 I did fall with full weight going onto my injured leg on three separate occasions in the first six weeks.
My leg is still very painful if I try a sideways movement and night time has been agony the last couple of nights with stabbing pains. I was awake so long I timed them and they were every four seconds.
Last week I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and prescribed calcium and vitamin D. I then had given headaches and went back to my GP who died the needs and did blood tests. I have very good levels of valium and vitamin d in my blood. I only took the needs for one day. My leg is still swelling up a lot and I then have to raise it which is making me quite immobile.
The Orthopaedic consultant told me to bend my leg and to lift it. That was it! I have 90 ROM now.
This is not a question but my story to date. Thinking I'm just frustrated with myself and doctors, who have given me great care up to a point.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Tibia plateau compression fracture.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
This article is rather heavy with medical terminology but may offer you some guidance - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4976737/

I know you are not 'elderly' but I chose this because of the reference to concurrent osteoporosis. You will see that there are different management options depending on the amount of displacement of the fractured part and the degree of osteoporosis.

It would be helpful if you establish how badly displaced that part of the plateau is, and why the surgeon felt that it had to heal on its own without any surgical support in terms of screws or a plate.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Poohbear59

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibia plateau compression fracture.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 12:08:17 AM »

Thank you for the information. The article was very helpful. I will share it with my daughter who is currently studying to be a chiropractor. And I will talk to my GP on Monday. and find out what she knows about the extent of my injury.