Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteochondral Allograft  (Read 179 times)

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Osteochondral Allograft
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:46 AM »
I just underwent an Osteochondral Allograft on my left knee.  I saw there haven't been many reports on this type of surgery here lately so I thought I would add my journey. This site has been really helpful in getting to this point so thanks to everyone who has posted here.

First a little background on me. I dislocated my left knee in my early teens and for over six years I dealt with multiple dislocationsÖit was to the point I didn't trust my knee anymore. Finally I went and had lateral release surgery. That stopped the dislocations so the surgery was a success.  I didn't have any major problems with my knee for a couple decades. A few years ago my knee started to give me problems so I saw an orthopedist who recommended a total knee replacement.  Another year later I sought out another orthopedist who recommended a partial knee replacement. My bone on bone pain had become so frequent that I needed to do something.  After hearing about OATS surgery, and that I was a candidate for it, I decided to go with this route.

Surgery Day: I underwent surgery early in the morning. They put a nerve block on my leg.  The pain was manageable with the medication.  I stayed at the hospital that night and used the CPM machine for many hours to 30 degrees.

Post-op Day 1:  The pain is still bearable thanks to the medication. My nerve block in my leg is over though I didnít notice a huge increase in the pain.  I still have a little nerve catheter in my thigh just above my knee. I have a hinged brace on my knee and I try to get out of bed to practice using crutches (toe-tap, no weight bearing on my left leg) for the first time after surgery and I pass out for a few seconds (my blood pressure got too low I think).  After resting a few hours I am able to navigate the crutches. Straight leg raises are excruciating but I can get through them. The ROM on my knee brace is set to 60 degrees until my first follow up visit. I spend this night in the hospital as well. I use the CPM machine a lot on this day too.

Post-op Day 2: My vital signs are good and the doctors clear me to go home.  PT clears me to go home after a session with the crutches and practicing going up and down stairs. I decide to go home and my dad takes me on the two-hour drive home. Pain level increases really that evening until I take the pain meds.

Post-op Day 3: I get up several times to use the bathroom.  It is a major pain to use the toilet while on crutches.  Being on crutches and non-weight bearing makes every little journey tiring.  Straight-leg raises are too painful for me to do today. I sound like someone being attacked when I try to do them.  I am very disappointed.  I can do all of the other exercises I am supposed to do. Pain level is bearable with pain meds.

Iíll keep my little recovery journal going for a little while if anyone finds it useful. Let me know if there are questions.

Thanks!

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Osteochondral Allograft
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
Day 4: Much better night of sleeping.  Pain level has deceased thankfully. I am able to do all my exercises including the straight-leg raises! Hopefully that was just a temporary set back.  I am able to get my knee to 60 degrees (my limit) without too much discomfort. I am looking forward to being able to get to 90.  I can see when I do my quad sets that my quad isnít firing like it did yet.  I wonder how long that takes to recover?  I am still feeling my way with the crutches.  Every little journey in my house is tiring. I think I may not be using them as efficiently as I could.

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
It has been just over a week now since the surgery.  Pain is really low. I expected much worse, honestly. I can do straight leg extensions with no pain.  I am doubling up my assigned exercises to give my knee and leg more to do.  Stitches should come out next week. My knee still is quite swollen and looks like hell--especially in the back. I can't wait until I can be weight-bearing on my left leg.

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:11 AM »
It has been three and a half weeks since the surgery.  I can finally be weight-bearing (locked straight knee brace only) which is a big relief. It is so much is easier to get around now.  I think I will be able to get down to a single crutch very soon.

Pain still is pretty light.  On the down side I still can't get my quad to fire like I want it to do.  I also have a little pain below the knee on the right side when doing quad sets.

I go back to the doctor in just under three weeks to see how the grafts are doing. I worry constantly if they have taken. I don't want to go through this again.

support