Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to handle PFS pain flairs  (Read 48 times)

Offline reader278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
How to handle PFS pain flairs
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
For those with patellofemoral syndrome, how do you handle the inevitable pain flairs when they come on. Do you continue to go to work (ie. sitting all day), continue to exercise etc. Or do you rest until it goes away? Or something in between? I have a hard time knowing what to do during flairs. I don't want to rest altogether because being bed bound=loss of muscle mass and is just so depressing. What's the best strategy?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
Re: How to handle PFS pain flairs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
I probably have more things going on than patellofemoral syndrome, but my response to pain flairs is your "something in between"-alternative. That is, resting as much as I can, while still trying to go about my daily business to the extent that it is possible without creating even more pain/symptoms. Finding that balance is difficult but key.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: How to handle PFS pain flairs
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 03:32:26 AM »
That's actually a great question. There's advocates on pretty much the polar opposite; some will say do as little as functionally possible, and some will advise doing as much as possible in the envelope of function.

What I generally have done for the last ten years, is do nothing for a day or two, get frustrated, then do too much, aggregate it further, get angry, depressed and completely sedentary for a month or two, and then start the cycle over again next flare up. I'd advise against this, heh.

I don't think there really is a right answer, it's mostly experimentation with so many unique variables in your injury as per type, location, etc. I'm not a pill popper by nature, but I'll generally take ibruprofen for 2-3 days during flareups, and it seems to help calm things down. I find that the mental state during these times are almost as difficult to manage as the physical.

good luck.