Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 wks after my LR, Back in the saddle!  (Read 2401 times)

Offline remarque

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
5 wks after my LR, Back in the saddle!
« on: March 19, 2004, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here but thought I would put in my 10 cents after my surgery.I found this site 2 weeks before my LR surgery February 11,2004. I would read everything I could find out about LR. My OS said it would be no big deal and I would be back to work riding horses in 2 to 3 weeks. I did the surgery and then as I went thru this site some more and I was worried that I had been misled by my OS after reading the scarey stories some of you guys have had. I felt I was in for a really long haul in the recovery dept. I will admit I was very very worried. If I don't ride, I don't get paid. That whole selfemployed thing! I am a big FEI dressage trainer and rider, and have done this my whole life. Pain is not an option for me. My knee finally went bad in October but I tried other forms of pt and drug therapy to avoid surgery. Didn't work!

Had the surgery on Wed morning, went to work Friday just to teach, then Sunday I went to a clinic 4 hours away that I was invited to ride in, to watch our USA Team Coach teach. (Timing is everything) I got the invite to ride with our coach the day after I made the surgery arrangments. Monday I was off the crutches and fully weight bearing and driving my beloved truck. BY the following week I was off all pain meds. I still am on Vioxx but I have been on that for 3 years due to a pending back surgery. Totally different subject. I also ice every night.

Started PT 11 days after surgery. I was leg pressing 295 last week with both legs and 160 with the right one with the LR. 2 1/2 weeks I was back in the saddle and also able to take the 4 flights of staires up and down at school. Not at my best at riding, but I started out with one horse a  day, and now I ride 4. It is still  less then my 6 to 8 horses per day but after reading about many of you guys still on crutches, I feel very lucky. I am riding in a clininc all this weekend and I will be showing 3 horses the second week in April. I won't lie and say that everything is wonderful. I have swelling and pain but I had expected that. Isn't that why we have ice? I also know there are days I push the limits but I do that in life anyway. My back OS calls me a "Tough A$$" I Got booted from PT after only 3 weeks with a small warning..."take it easy". I'll miss my PT"S they were really cool guys and really pushed me. I am on my feet all day and some days my knee has swelling then some days it feels good. I find kneeling down is a real pain but I was in the habit of avoiding it for many years due to pain anyway so no big deal there. I have no idea how long I will have pain and or swelling. I have never had a surgery in my life but I was always under the impression from my OS that pain could last for up to a year. To be expected due to the fact they just cut a major body part. I do my excercises and just keep going. It really isn't in to much pain unless I do something dumb. Riding is not bad. Sometimes I get pain in the knee cap, but my PT says that that is normal due to the new tracking. I will say this about my surgery, the pain I had before surgery is gone! I had the worst pain on the outside of my knee whenever I got up to walk. I had a very pronounced limp prior to surgery, now it is gone. I don't walk with a limp at all. I met some friends for dinner last week and they said they must have heard wrong that I had surgery, because I did not walk like someone who just had surgery! I asked them if they wanted to see my scars. Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope it gives some of you guys hope. I feel better evryday that goes by. Thanks to everyone for many insights. It has helped me get through this wonderful experience. Good luck to anyone going through it. Hope you have the same success that I feel I am having.

Merrie

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: 5 wks after my LR, Back in the saddle!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 04:19:02 AM »
Hi Merrie

Yours is a great success story and I hope you enjoy continued progress with your recovery.

Good Luck

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Brooke

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 06:31:20 AM »
Merrie,

I am so happy to hear about your recovery.. I am having an LR on Monday (April 12) and I am very concerned about work.. I am a gym teacher and a coach and my school doesn't have any elevators.. I don't want to miss time off and like you, i have been very apprehensive except after hearing your success story, i have a different opinion.. Thanks for sharing
-Brooke
25 Years Old
Lateral Release, Left Knee on 4/12/04
Lateral Release, Right Knee on 1/6/06

Offline remarque

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 07:34:56 AM »
Hi Brooke,
Good luck.I hope all went well for you. I thought for sure I was in deep trouble after reading so many posts here but I am now 8 weeks into it and I am totaly back to full speed. I have some pain still but I have been off all drugs for weeks now. I did go back to PT for another 3 weeks because I needed to get the strength back in the quads that I lost after surgery, which is normal but I am out of it and doing just fine now. I was really amazed at how much my quads had disappeared. They are the part that is sore for me right now. I know I am pushing a lot harder then the normal person but I have no choice. I am self employed. My PT says I am doing incredible, so there is a rainbow at the end of the storm for sure. ICE, ICE and more ICE! My words of wisdom to you! Get into PT as soon as your are cleared to do so and just stay the course! You will do fine! Best of luck.
Merrie

Offline Brooke

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:26:14 PM »
Merrie,

Thanks for writing... I'm 1 week today and I feel wonderful.. I am so surprised.. Although i do have some pain, i haven't taken a pill in 2 days.. I am starting PT on the 29th.. That was the earliest they could get me in.. Good luck
Brooke
25 Years Old
Lateral Release, Left Knee on 4/12/04
Lateral Release, Right Knee on 1/6/06

Offline remarque

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:38:57 AM »
Great to hear all is well Brooke.
I was at work 2 days after my surgery and I was off the crutches 5 days and it has been full speed ahead since. I never had any really bad days. I went off pain meds in the 2nd week and it had gotten to where I was only taking them once a day at the end any way. I think all the bad stuff that we have read on this board is only a small number of people who have had this surgery. I feel bad for those who have problems but I am so glad mine went so well. I am at 9 weeks now and I have pain still going down stairs and I still can't kneel to the ground but I wasn't able to do that before surgery anyway so I can't miss something I haven't had in a long time. My original pain on the outside that I had every day is gone. A very good sign! I was in PT for 6 weeks ( I got kicked out at 3 but sent back by my OS for another 3) and I breezed thru that. They told me to Slow down!!! but  I feel all is going great. Once in a while the knee feels like it is swollen and then I know I did to much. Ice and anti inflamatories and it is fine the next day. My ROM is almost back to 100%. Pretty cool considering after surgery I could barley bend it. I am realistic to know that it will be a year before all is normal feeling, but it beats being in pain 24/7. Best of luck in your recovery. It is all a piece of cake from here! The worst part  is over.
Merrie

support