Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone here been getting Hyaluronic acid injections for years and years?  (Read 189 times)

Offline yangyang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I'm just wondering, is there a limit on how many times you can get it?

Has anyone had success having them every 6 months or so, for years on end?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
I think I had 4 lots between end 2010 and mid 2017 (two single injections and two courses of Three)

If it's going to help, it should be effective for 12-18 months at least according to my OS. In arthritic knees (ie with extensive cartilage damage), he said he's also had success with a cocktail of steroid plus HA. He also doesn't use the single shot any more as in his experience it isn't as effective (and can be more painful for the patient, I had one of the singles during a scope under GA, the other I don't recall being especially painful, but was a long time ago)

If you need it every 6 months, it doesn't sound like it's working very well for you. How severe is the arthritis?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:16:10 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline yangyang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thank you for your reply.

No I actually havent had any shots yet, I was just wondering if i do decide to get them, are they something I could keep getting. I thought the maximum effect was 6 months.

Could you tell me which you found more effective - single shot or 3 course? From what I've read online, the 3 course works better with less bad side effects?

Id say my arthritis is pretty bad in medial compartment. I am wary of steroids and not keen on trying them as Ive heard they can actually eat away at the remaining cartilage?

Thanks,

Y.Y.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
I thought the maximum effect was 6 months.

Could you tell me which you found more effective - single shot or 3 course? From what I've read online, the 3 course works better with less bad side effects?

Id say my arthritis is pretty bad in medial compartment. I am wary of steroids and not keen on trying them as Ive heard they can actually eat away at the remaining cartilage?

Thanks,

Y.Y.

Not according to my OS IF there's an effect. But it is subjective. Not every arthritic joint feels the same.

I couldn't say for sure which was more 'effective'; you don't get an immediate effect, takes a month or two. It's not like taking a pain pill that works in half an hour.  The knee feels tight and full for a few days at least.  Essentially the injections calmed my knee, stopped it swelling and stiffening so much and enabled me to be active (until it got to its current tricompartmental stage, the last round didn't seem to help so much and I had a quite an extensive scope to tidy )

You can only try and see if they help you. It won't cure the arthritis, but hopefully help lubricate and reduce inflammation and stiffness, make the knee more comfortable

Yes steroid can damage cartilage cells...in my OS words, he now avoids unless the cartilage is already 'trashed'. I had one a few months ago from my rheumatologist and it has calmed the swelling and heat around the joint which kept occurring post arthroscopy

There's quite a lot of articles / literature around HA injections e.g.
https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/medication/drug-types/other/hyaluronic-acid-injections.php

When you say bad...lots of inflammation and swelling, loss of ROM, through to bone, extensive through the compartment. Meniscus trashed too as a result?
How old are you? Are you a potential candidate for a partial or total replacement?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:28:10 AM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline yangyang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for yet another response, I appreciate it

I'm only 40 so not a candidate for TKR yet. I've mostly just trashed the medial compartment of my knee through many years of running without a meniscus, which was removed at a young age. I've got maybe 35% exposed bone in the medial compartment. Walking downhill is basically 10/10 pain. Trying to run even a few steps, 10/10 pain. Walking on flat ground is like a 2/10 though. Swelling is mild I'd say, ROM is OK except trying to squat.

I have an appointment coming up with my surgeon to talk things over. If I decide to go ahead with HA injections is that something that can be decided and done on the spot during a normal appointment?

Thanks again,

Yy

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
I've never had the injection there and then as the hospital pharmacy has had to order it in and appointment(s) made to do it. Ask your surgeon's secretary beforehand? Send him an email to say you'd like to try (assume you've discussed before).

Have you considered an unloader brace if it's only one compartment? I've just got one myself (Donjoy OA nano) as although I have tricompartmental arthritis I'm knock kneed so the pressure is more lateral and I'm hoping the brace will help support and align the knee a bit more and take the pressure off (I too get pain on downward slopes). They are much more commonly used for medial arthritis.
Worth discussing with a physio who has expertise to have alongside injections.

At 40, with only one compartment affected you could be a candidate for partial /resurfacing (if there's misalignment, you may need an osteotomy first if it's bad) although decent function and low pain in general probably wouldn't warrant a major op
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 01:32:57 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15