Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Failed OATS, 2 years on???  (Read 177 times)

Offline QMY

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Failed OATS, 2 years on???
« on: October 07, 2019, 04:15:22 AM »
I had an OATS procedure 28 months ago.  The pain is back, in the same place medial distal femur, and almost as bad as it was pre-surgery.  I would say the pain is 80% to 90% as bad as it was before. at this point is it fair to say the "OATS" failed?   

Anyone with a similar experience?  Next steps?

I had an MRI last week and see my surgeon again this week.  I am hoping there is an obvious physical issue that a simple arthroscopic procedure can correct...

At the same time - get this! - I broke my distal lateral malleolus.  (Bone on the outside of my ankle...)  I just found out the recurring ankle pain is caused by a non-union fracture.  (The bone never healed properly.)  So, now I have to have surgery on my ankle to basically re-break the bone, scrape off the bad parts and put it back together with the assistance of screws or plates... 

Any similar experiences?  Anyone have two procedures within days or weeks of each other so the down time can be concurrent rather than back to back? 

So a failed OATS and likely corrective action with an upcoming ankle surgery...  I may just be watching the bulls run in Pamplona next July rather than running out in front of them as planned... 

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Failed OATS, 2 years on???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
Hard to say, obviously... when you had the OATS, did you have any sort of accompanying osteotomy to unload and protect that area of the knee?

If the degeneration was due to misalignment, and the misalignment wasn't altered, I'd certainly expect the plugs to wear back down again eventually.. but two years seems a bit soon to me, anyway.

support