Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ROM after broken patella  (Read 149 times)

Offline Vicki C

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ROM after broken patella
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:07:19 AM »
I had TKR in February and I participated in outpatient PT for several weeks making good progress - my last evaluation was 3/110 degrees. The clinic had a lot of turn over and one visit was with a PRN PT who in trying to get my knee to 0 degrees, she bounced on my knee like she was doing CPR. It hurt so much that I told the scheduler I wanted no more visits with that PT. Three weeks later, I stepped down off a curb with my surgical leg and the pain was excruciating. I went back to my surgeon and they discovered that I had broken my patella. (I think the PT fractured it and the step down separated the broken corner from the kneecap.) I was put in a straight leg brace for 6 weeks and my surgeon would not allow me to return to PT for 4 more weeks. I went to a different therapy clinic and I am almost at the end of my allotted 10 visits. I have only attained a bend of 102 degrees (first visit was 95) and the therapist does not expect that I will attain any additional ROM. I am frustrated and wonder if there is anything more I can do to attain additional range of motion.

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: ROM after broken patella
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
Hi Vicki C

Sorry to read your troubles - as my consultant told me, that once the ROM has reached 100, it takes sometime to reach that extra mile - I reached 128 ROm after twelve months - I can live a normal life, but cannot run after the bus (or blonds), so PATIENCE is required, however take care in particular snow or wet weather/
Best/JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon