Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Few Questions post broken knee OP  (Read 192 times)

Offline jazzyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Few Questions post broken knee OP
« on: October 04, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »
Hello all,

I am so glad I found this forum since I have like a gaziilion questions and not many who have been through this to know the answers.

I am 2 weeks post surgical repair of a broken patella and saw the doctor last friday. He didn't really fill me in on a lot of details but said I am allowed to remove the full leg knee brace to shower and massage my legs in bed. To be honest, when I am laying in bed I don't really keep the knee brace on anymore but keep my leg as straight as possible and comfortable.

1. Is it safe to sleep without the brace so soon? I passed out before I put it on, I didn't move a lot so I didn't cause any damage or wake up in pain.

2. Is it safe to sleep on my side if my knee is comfortable? (I don't feel any pain or unusual pulling)

3. Has anyone had resorbable sutures instead of staples? Did they take a bit longer to heal? (No redness or infection or draining or anything just a bit tingly and still has a bit of dried blood on it) the doctor at follow up didn't even clean the site or give instructions on what to do...

4. I was told I am already doing way more than I should considering its only been 2 weeks since my surgery. I don't have a support system here and have a house to run. I am already standing for around 30 minutes cooking (besides making beds and sweeping floors) and hopping around the kitchen with 1 crutch. Is this safe or can it cause damage? I am not feeling pain or overtiring myself but I really have no choice.

Sigh sorry I have so many questions. I do live in a country that's not my own with a massive cultural gap making hard for me to ask doctors these questions and they don't even offer explanations at time. (They seem a bit hurried or not really concerned). It might be partially my fault because I have a high tolerance to pain and a very easy patient :( Just feeling a bit overwhelmed, frustrated and alone.

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Few Questions post broken knee OP
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
Hi jazzyst

Firstly the sutres disolve over time - however bear in mind that knee injuries take time to heal, SO DONT PUSH IT.
Sleep is a problem area - so get a pillow or a cushion, when you go to bed, place it in between your knees - not exy I know, but it takes the pain away from the knee area.
How did you sustain your injury?   Where do you live - have you got a pysio lined up who understands your injury.
Keep posting - and don`t fret!!!
JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jazzyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I live in South Africa. I broke it tripping over my 5yr olds plastic dog in the road and landing knee first into the edge of the sidewalk lol (facepalm). It was a straight break 2 pieces no fragments. The doctor repaired with with surgical wires. Physio saw me at the hospital the following day post op and helped me with crutches which I was already keyed up on... the doctor said because I am physically fit he doubts I will need real physio to help as I'm a nurse and already do most the physio at home. I was discharged with only a follow up at the doctor 1 week post op then after that 5 weeks post op.

I tried putting a pillow between my knees it wasn't comfortable at all. But to be honest I dont really feel any physical pain besides the stitches being itchy and tight. I have a very high tolerance to pain apparently (I didn't think I did). I mostly get uncomfortable not in pain and feel like curling up with both knees bent haha but of course I can't because I dont want the fracture to split again lol

I can already walk with the brace on with 1 crutch but without the brace I feel so vulnerable so taking it easy until my muscles start working better. It was horrible taking a shower without it the first time. I was so scared of falling haha

The doctor who performed the surgery is one of the best orthopaedics around but he acts so nonchalant that I feel I shouldn't be asking silly questions haha he was so impressed by my progress and not worried about anything else. I asked him how much I'm supposed to move and what activities I can do he just shrugged and said just don't bend the knee. So was honestly kind off clueless on what to expect or do post discharge haha

Offline jazzyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Images of the injury September 25th 2019
Sutures post OP
The brace I have been put in

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »
Lower pole fractures like yours are uncommon, and are usually seen in children or adolescents, but since you had competent help it will hopefully heal well. With patellar fractures there is always a balance between giving the bone time to heal and getting the knee mobilised. It will all take time.
--
KNEEguru

Offline jazzyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »
Wow kneeguru! I didn't know it was uncommon haha
Although I am turning 40 next year I keep telling everyone I am still a teenager lol

Thank you I will give it the time it needs to heal
The responses are well appreciated