Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 weeks post op  (Read 549 times)

Offline catbenditt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 weeks post op
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
So Iím currently 2 weeks post op from mpfl reconstruction with lateral release on my right knee (with femoral nerve block) after about 8 years (currently 23 years old) of doctors telling me there was nothing wrong with my knee and that I was over weight and PT was the only answer :(.. but finally found an OS who finally took me serious and did an MRI and found my TTTG was 20! Definitely not good.
anyway back to my concern/questions, my OS has me nonweight bearing with crutches and a brace locked straight per protocol and Iíve gotten increasingly concerned with my foot swelling and turning purple when I stand, despite all the icing and nonstop elevating Iím doing. I also have noticed increased coldness numbness/burning in my thigh as the time has progressed and wondered if that was normal and if other people have experienced it. I have talked to my OS and he didnít show as much concern for it as I did and I just wanted to know if Iím the only one out there that has experienced this after surgery.
Also my next question was what is the average time that you had to spend on prescription medication for pain. I usually have a high pain tolerance but have found this surgery more painful than expected and Iíve found myself needing them longer than expected. I live in a very small town where these types of surgeries are very uncommon so finding someone to ask these questions to is hard and any help and answers would be greatly appreciated!

Mpfl reconstruction with lateral release right knee: 8/30/19
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:21:58 PM by catbenditt, Reason: Updated topic »

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
Re: 2 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Hi,

How are you doing now? If the foot swells/turns purple you can have issues with circulation, worst case scenario a deep vein thrombosis. Have you gotten this thing thoroughly examined/checked up by now?

Not sure about how long (strong) pain meds are typically needed for this type of surgery, but probably a few weeks.

Please keep us updated how you're doing!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline catbenditt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
So Iíve had my first post op and the doctor didnít seem too concerned and didnít run any tests. Iím still having the same problem it is only when I stand up that my foot turns purple and I seem to still have residual neuropathy from the nerve block as well, and that concerns me as I am over 3 weeks post op. Other than that all other problems have since resolved. I have not started walking or weight bearing yet either and I am limited to leg lifts so I donít know if that contributes to anything.

MPFL RECONSTRUCTION RIGHT KNEE 8/30/19
Patella Alta right knee 7/19/19
Patella maltracking bilateral knee 6/2018
Recurring patellar dislocation 

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
Great to hear that you're improving! Did the doctor have any explanation for, or idea about, why your foot turns purple?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline catbenditt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:42 PM »
Thank you! Iím feeling better each day, although itís been a long recovery process and I havenít even started to attempt to walk or go to physical therapy. Unfortunately he didnít give much of an answer. He just brushed it off as a possible circulation problem but didnít seem alarmed as to think it was a dvt. Iím keeping my fingers crossed that when I start physical therapy the purple will resolve.

support