Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "bad tracking" after MCL injury?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Julio

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
"bad tracking" after MCL injury?
« on: August 07, 2002, 07:16:06 PM »
Hello everyone!

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone here!  I injured my knee in a skiing accident 4 months ago with a type 2 MCL injury.

Healing has gone well, but my health care has not given me nearly as much support or physical therapy as I had hoped they would.  Now that I have begun to exercise regularly again, my knee has developed a new popping/low-level pain that I have not experienced before.  

This occurs during the extension of my knee, and I can feel the sensation begin at the backside of my knee on the outside and progress across the joint to the front, inside part of my knee.  Please forgive my terminonlogy, but it feels as if the knee joint does not "track" correctly when this happens.

Has anyone else experienced this after a ligament injury?  I realize that I should certainly see an orthopedic doctor, and I have set up an appointment to do so, but I don't fully trust my doctor. (I have Kaiser Permanente, for those in the know)

Anyway, I was just hoping to hear from someone else who has experienced the same thing as I am.

Thanks!
Matt.

Offline Georgie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • TTT right leg Sept. 00 and TTT left leg June 02
Re: "bad tracking" after MCL injury?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 02:38:43 AM »
Matt~
Well I didn't have mal tracking after a ligament injury and maybe someone has experienced what you have on this board but if not a lot of us have had mal tracking issues.  Seeing a OS is a very good idea. Let us know what the doctor says and I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.  If you have any more questions on mal tracking any of us would be more than happy to help you. Take care, Georgie

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 02:53:17 AM »
My friend had her ACL and MCL surgically repaired, then developed mal-tracking issues and meniscus tears.  The surgeon told her that was an almost unnavoidable result of ACL reconstruction--don't know about MCL that healed non-surgically, though.

Could there be a scarring problem?  We heal ourselves with scar tissue, and some of us (ahem) do that a little too well.  Talk to your doctor about it.  Also, it could be that something else was damaged in addition to your MCL, and you are just now noticing it because of increased load and reduced MCL pain.

Just some thoughts--none of us is a doctor, but hopefully you'll get some answers from yours.  It always helps to have this stuff thought through before your appointment so you can ask him/her right away.

Let us know how things turn out.  We love happy endings here  ;D

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M &amp; L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 02:30:15 AM »
I am having similar problems after having partial menisectomies on both the lateral and medial side.  My PT is completely stumped, and when I find out from the OS what it is, she really wants me to call and let her know.  She says I have a slight amount of mal-tracking, but not enough for what I am experiencing.

Khaoskat