Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee pain long after surgery  (Read 261 times)

Offline Nesiga

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain long after surgery
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »
I broke my patella into three pieces in 2003.  Had ORIF, then hardware removal.  Had broken cartilage under kneecap.  Had lateral something or other (can't remember the name of the procedure) which was probably a mistake.  Then in 2007 had TKR.  I am in pain almost all of the time.  My knee is deformed.  A second surgeon told me that my knee may be on a slant.  I can believe that because of the pain but nobody is willing to open the incision again.  Help!  It can't be arthritis after replacement.  What to do about the pain?   :'(

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Knee pain long after surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
  Hi Nesiga

I can only suggest a visit to a third Consulant, and perhaps a MRI scan may show some light, but very difficult to give you some advice as your details are sparse.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
The 'lateral' procedure would probably have been lateral release.
Regarding the pain and deformity, it is likely that a revision is needed, and I cannot think why a surgeon skilled in revision knee replacement would be reluctant to open your knee. Are you in USA?
--
KNEEguru

Offline Sampson19511

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »
Hello.  Nice to see a recent post.  Your injury was worse than mine.  I had one horizontal fracture with screw and wire fixation which healed well.  However 2.5 years later I have more pain now than ever.  I am active and not sure why pain is worse.  I did have consult with three different ortho surgeons.  I guess my next step is arthroscopy to see if hardware can be removed and perhaps clean up of scar tissue or meniscus, who knows until they actually get in there.  I also may have arthritis after such a trauma, which is common. I do not expect to be 100% ever!  Also, it did take me 2.5 years to rebuild the strength in my leg.  However, the muscles and tendons in my surgical leg, entire leg, are still smaller in circumference than my good leg, but better since joining a gym.  I was working out at home but the leg equipment has seemed to help me regain most of my strength and a bit of girth.  A doctor told me they do not know why muscles and tendons do not respond to exercise after patella ORIF.  A PT told me it could be nerve damage.  It is not just my knee it is my entire leg from butt down to ankle in the surigical side.  I can't really get a good answer from anyone.  I am also 68 but have no other bone or health problems.  I inline skate, snow ski, hike and have worked out regularly for over 45 years. I am not sure about a second surgery as it scares me.  I do read that recovery for hardware removal is short only due to stiches.  You can return to work in a day or two if you work.  If anyone has any suggestions for my problems or if I should have arthroscopic surgery please let me know.  Thanks a bunch and I wish you quick recovery.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:32:37 PM by Sampson19511, Reason: added some words »

Offline Nesiga

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Yes, it was a lateral release. I think maybe that could have caused the problem.   Yes, I am in the USA.  The second surgeon was reluctant to open the incision again because it had been opened twice and she wasn't sure she could fix it.  She gave me odds that were more against being able to repair it.  The original surgeon also said he couldn't guarantee that he could fix it.  I really am considering seeing a third surgeon for discussion of revision.  The pain has become very intolerable after all these years. 

support