Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL Instability 5 months Post-Injury  (Read 122 times)

Offline vision1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL Instability 5 months Post-Injury
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Hoping I can share my situation and get some advice from people with more experience.

September 2007, I sprained my right MCL from a direct blow to the outside of my knee. I never did physio but I let it heal and increased my activity in the gym as pain would allow. I made a full recovery without any issues.

April 2019, I sprained my right MCL again from a direct blow to the outside of my knee. Pain was not as bad as the first injury but it was still bad with instability (failed valgus stress test). I had an important lacrosse tournament 17 days later. I pushed the rehab as much as I could, icing constantly, supplements, seeing physio every other day. I ended up playing in the tournament with a hinged brace but I limited my time and effort to avoid further injury. I caused some minor discomfort at times but never anything serious.

Since then my MCL healed quick but then stagnated. I still have some pain but very little. My training is not limited by the injury, heavy lower body movements and full speed linear sprints feel fine. But something is "off" feeling. There is still visible swelling or scar tissue in the area as my MCL protrudes out from my knee more than the other leg. I saw a Sports Doctor yesterday who redid the valgus stress test and I still fail. She said 4+ month after the injury I won't see any more improvement and I'll have to live with knee instability now on. Depressing news to hear as a competitive athlete.

Where do I go from here? Should I just get use to this new limitation and wear a hinged brace for the rest of my life?

Is it possible my ligament will continue to tighten 4+ months after the original injury?

Is it worth getting an MRI and second opinion?

I can provide a lot more info as needed, just didn't want this post to be too long.
Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:32:17 PM by vision1 »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: MCL Instability 5 months Post-Injury
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
Here is a relevant article abstract - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23288744
It is a few years old but I see there is an email address of the author and he may respond to a query.
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: MCL Instability 5 months Post-Injury
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
In this article - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684213/ - scroll down to 'Chronic MCL injuries' where the authors discuss surgical options...
--
KNEEguru

support