Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: when to go for knee surgery  (Read 208 times)

Offline Faye800

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
when to go for knee surgery
« on: August 21, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »
Hello,
I am 63 I think my knees aren't bad enough for surgery and I keep putting off the op date.
My xray show i have no cartilage and i am walking bone on bone.
i can walk quite well, but only for a couple of hours before the pain.
I cannot get out of a chair without support, nor climb and descend the stairs. but i am living with it.
I have lost weight recently and started yoga. Its like I am in denial. My niece has had the op recently and says not to go ahead unless I am in constant excruciating pain which really puts me off.
Can you offer any advice?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
Re: when to go for knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
What op are they offering? Knee replacement? Total or partial?

Your niece is right. Everyone I speak to says you'll know when the time has come. If you can walk for two hours before the pain sets in, you may not be there yet. If you are talking of a replacement, it is a big surgery and a one way street and not without potential complications afterwards, it is possib,e to be worse off, which is why it should be a last resort.

Concentrate on keeping strong and fit, swimming and exercises in a pool are a great low impact way of keeping active. Use ice and medication if needed to manage pain and swelling

Find a good physiotherapist who can help you with an exercise programme tailored to your needs and knees. The chair and stairs may be worse due to a lack of strength or control of the knee which physio can help with

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up