Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Best prehab / Pre-operation protocol and advise  (Read 63 times)

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Best prehab / Pre-operation protocol and advise
« on: August 17, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
Since I am now waiting for my surgery I am trying to get as strong as possible muscles and making the wait as comfortable as possible before the crutch time starts.

I am doing exercises from a pre-operation schedule for total knee replacement as it contains easy, non weight baring exercises able to do without any equipment. Besides that I started doing aquasports. Last week started with aquarobics (aqua arobics) and gonna try some aquajogging next week as well. I notice that my knee feels very heavy after the lesson when getting out of the water, similair to the hydrotherapy after my first surgery, no pain just discomfort afterwards but need to relax for a couple of hours to recover. I tried cycling but that doesn't work for me at the moment.

I am not really a fan of using pcm for the months to come so I am looking for natural pain relief. I now try some green tea with ginger and curcuma but it is not very tasty (it is drinkable). Anybody got a good recipe for a tasty pain-relief-good-for-the-knee-drink?

One of my main issues now is that I am sleeping very bad. I just wake up a lot from feeling uncomfortable tried some things like dressing warm and dont use a blanket, bandage it (sometimes works but sometimes at night I bend my knee and restrict my bloodflow and just sometimes I use a painkiller.

All tips are welcome!! Thank you  ;)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Best prehab / Pre-operation protocol and advise
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
Ice before you go to bed. If you wake in the night, get up and move around, don't just lie there in pain. It's the lack of mobility in bed that contributes to morning stiffness in an inflamed or arthritic knee

Ice is a natural post op pain reliever and reduces inflammation which is a major cause of pain, stiffness, lost ROM
Maybe invest in a cryocuff for post op
Take vitamin D and omega 3 every day if you don't already for bone and joint health

Also try doing your basic exercises and stretches in the pool, calf stretch, calf raise, quad stretch, hamstring stretch, squats

Walk rather than jog to start with, forwards and backwards

If you're sure you'll need crutches post op, work on your upper body strength and flexibility and your lower back now
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up