Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long of a wait for allograft match for a patella?  (Read 127 times)

Offline Monnster10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long of a wait for allograft match for a patella?
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:48:47 AM »
Hello!

I'm curious how long did it take for you or someone to get an allograft match for the patella? I was originally going to get a PKR but due to my age (27). My surgeon cancelled my surgery the day before and decided to try OATs first.  I've been on the list for a week so far, just curious what kind of wait I'm in for.

Little back info I had an MPFL in 2014 due to patellar subluxation, by the time they did the surgery the damage to my cartilage under my kneecap was done. In January of 2017 I had ACI done on the defect, at the time of that procedure the defect measured 22mm ◊ 15mm. By November of 2017 my pain was back I got scoped and my defect increased to 30mm ◊ 16mm.  So now I'm to the point where I can barely walk, and the defect gets caught on my groove. So I'm sure its a lot larger. &#128517;

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
Re: How long of a wait for allograft match for a patella?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
I assume it very much depends on your country, region, even hospital (may not even be available everywhere)

It would be a question for your surgeon based on his or her experience with the tissue bank (it may even be a ballpark as will depend presumably on your biology, size of defect, may even be seasonal)

Iím sure Iíve seen mentions of 6-12 months (that might have been a cadaver meniscus though and maybe not even your geography)

Ask the surgeon. Also likely success given your history, the patella is notoriously difficult to fix effectively. Have you had your bone alignment and groove depth and shape checked for compatibility with a decent outcome?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Monnster10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
I already had a TTT for alignment when I had my ACI. My surgeon said she was going to send my measurements to a couple tissue banks,I live in Michigan. She told me 1-3 months but then told me it could take a week or 5 months.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:04:15 PM »
Sounds like thereís no way to be sure. Just be ready as and when and do as much prehab as you can :)

Hydrotherapy is much less impactful than land physio but can be equally as effective (or more so)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support