Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1st time dislocation - anxious and scared  (Read 121 times)

Offline ccarm_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
1st time dislocation - anxious and scared
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:33:38 AM »
i dislocated my knee about a week ago and iím currently in a removable brace waiting to go to the orthopedic doctor in a few days. iím so scared for this journey and whatís going to happen. iím so incredibly frustrated going from an active very independent 22 year old to being couch bound and having to get help to shower. i donít know what to do or what to think iíve spent all day crying. iím so terrified to dislocate again iíve heard the rate is 40% and this has been so traumatic and itís only been a week. iíve missed out on so much and i really need some advice or words of wisdom.

xx C

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
  • LK dislocation, lcl laxity, pcl torn twice,
Re: 1st time dislocation - anxious and scared
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:54:00 AM »
Hi C..
Hopefully you will be one of the 60% it doesn't happen to again.
It will depend upon what damage has been done when it dislocated,  I know it's hard not to worry,  but you won't know till you have seen the doctor.
Keep the knee safe till you get to docs.

LK dislocation,  cartlege trim, 20% lateral meniscus removed
Lcl laxity,  pcl tears, mcl tear

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: 1st time dislocation - anxious and scared
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
I would agree that you first need to relax and make sure you let your knee heal and then do your rehab and get your quads really strong. After healing your doctor should be in a position to better evaluate your knee.  Worrying now won't help anything.

You don't mention how you dislocated your knee.  The circumstances surrounding your injury could be an indicator if your knee might dislocate again. An injury from a car crash probably has no predective value. If your knee dislocated from just stepping of a curb then you might be at risk for reoccurring issues with your knee.

I have dislocated both knees so I have some experience with this (and I am in the reoccurance camp).

Keep icing your knee and think positively. It might be a good time to catch up on some reading!