Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial plateau and shaft fracture 5 months ago and fed up.  (Read 221 times)

Offline Beckysnoozing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial plateau and shaft fracture 5 months ago and fed up.
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:42:34 AM »
I sustained a grade 3 TPF with a 1 inch depression and tibial shaft fracture extending in a v shape from the proximal tibia to almost the base just over 22weeks ago in a skiing accident. I had an ORIF with autologous bone graft, plate and 6 screws and a further screw to hold the anterior and posterior aspects of my fractured proximal tibia together. Progress has been slow and at 12 weeks I still had a visibly fractured proximal tibia and shaft. When I was finally allowed to weight bear (12 weeks) I rapidly came off crutches. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with a patella tendonopathy which has totally set back my recovery. I cannot walk up or down stairs normally (this has been the case since the injury) as I have significant pain and no strength in the affected leg; I don’t even have enough strength to use the clutch on my car.  I’ve reined in the physio as advised but feeling quite low about the whole situation.  The discomfort has changed and I’m even more aware of the place where the metal work was inserted than before.  I have the typical TPF residual issues (swelling, muscle atrophy, nerve damage to the surrounding skin - numbness and hypersensitivity, altered circulation - different colored legs). Anyone had a similar experience who can offer some words of encouragement? This is not my first secondary injury and my second episode of tendonopathy since breaking my leg (first from using crutches). I’m very fed up and hoping this is not my ‘new normal’.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Tibial plateau and shaft fracture 5 months ago and fed up.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »
Hi

I can only give one piece of advice -  you must drive until you are cleared by your OS, otherwise you will invalidate your insurance policy.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »
Hi

I can only give one piece of advice -  you must drive until you are cleared by your OS, otherwise you will invalidate your insurance policy.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Presumably you mean NOT drive  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 06:43:21 PM »
Correct - You MUST NOT DRIVE UNTIL YOU HAVE THE OK FROM YOUR OS

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »
Hi Becky,

I am sorry about your injury and your slow recovery.  However, five months after surgery is too early to worry.   It is expected that you will continue to heal for many more months (TPF recovery is normally very slow).  All your symptoms (swelling, numbness, change of color of skin, etc.) are “normal”.  I also felt a few of my screws poke out.  After a year, the metal plate and screws had to be removed due to irritation and pain.

I cannot say that I am 100% recovered (who knows if I ever will) but I am functional and can do most activities except going up and down stairs.

You may want to read my thread in the “bone breaks around the knee” section:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=74351.0

Wish you the best,

Bella

support