Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cannot build muscle with Chondromalacia  (Read 110 times)

Offline robmaxfli

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cannot build muscle with Chondromalacia
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »
30 years living with Chondromalacia. I used to have very muscular thighs before this pain set in. The VMO muscle on the troubled knee is noticeably smaller on the affected knee. Even though I have workout my legs for many years, that muscle - especially where it meets the knee (aka teardrop muscle) will not build muscle no matter what. Its like the chondromalacia will not allow the very bottom of the VMO to fire - only the middle section.

Has anyone else had this experience too?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: cannot build muscle with Chondromalacia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
Have you consulted a knee expert physiotherapist for advice on the best exercises? It may simply be that the knee issue is inhibiting that muscle. Muscle size and strength/function are not directly correlated so if those arenít affected, it may not actually matter (my surgeon has told me  that you can lose 25% muscle bill and have same strength)

Get an expert opinion

Whatís caused the chondromalacia, (which is a symptom, not a specific diagnosis). Age related wear and tear? Trauma? And where is the soft cartilage? Kneecap? How does the patella track?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
Re: cannot build muscle with Chondromalacia
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
I have the same problem. Unfortunately no solution to offer :( Blood flow restriction (BFR) training seems to help some people, but I haven't tried it myself. Same with electrical stimulation (e-stim). Might be worth looking into, though. 
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support