Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rheumatoid Arthritis and NO INSURANCE!!!!!  (Read 4516 times)

Offline bigcrazywoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Rheumatoid Arthritis and NO INSURANCE!!!!!
« on: April 23, 2004, 08:29:47 PM »
I am a 42 years old and was diagnosed with RA about 5 years ago...actually it started almost 10 years ago...positive factor but wasnt active...then I went active and blew the charts off about 5 years ago...at time had insurance....they put me on methotrexate which i couldnt take because i felt like i was dying...then they put me on Arava and it seemed to help but of course with all that medicine they have to monitor your liver once a month....then I lost my job and lost insurance coverage...of course the Dr..called and said to immediately discontinue the arava after my last blood work up....I was ok for a couple of years but now I am in a flare up AGAIN...have no insurance...the last blood test i had was in October 2003...my RA factor was 93 and I feel it is still climbing....Now....I have been diagnosed with a Bakers Cyst but of course it is not a NORMAL one...like the ones that form behind the knee....mine is ARMORED....it is under my knee cap...on top of my sciatic nerves and causing all kinds of problems with my WHOLE LEG....I have NO IDEA where to go for answers to some of my questions....So if someone could help me I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT......this is the closest site I could find that might be able to help....I am in such a pickle as my DR...said....

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis and NO INSURANCE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 09:27:43 PM »
Hey !!

I don't know where you from but if you have no insurance I assume it's US your from. But if someones go sick there must be any healthcare which is free for people who can't pay. Aren't there anyone surrounding you which can help you find right place to go ?
Which you were in Sweden then you get help.

Anyway good luck to you.
Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline bigcrazywoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 11:27:25 PM »
Thanks Neetan for your concern...and yes I am in US...I have talked to everyone and no help.....when I did have insurance I was seeing a Rheumatologists and he said if I didn't take the remission medicine and do something about it I would probably be crippled within 10 years at the rate I was climbing.....that was 5 years ago....and I guess he was right...now I have no insurance and even if I did get some they consider this a pre-existing condition and wont cover any for at least 6 months....I know surely there is something somewhere but I cant seem to find it....that is how I found this website...hoping someone else out there might be in same position....and know something I could do....I cant even work right now because of the Bakers Cyst....then the Dr's office called at said just for the hospital charge it would be at LEAST $2000 not including Dr fees to remove the cyst which is probably a result from my RA....cant make payment plans because I cant work.....Cant work because of cyst...so there you go....catch 22....cant win for losing..... :'(

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 03:54:02 AM »
If you can't work due to disability you should be eligible for state and federal disability programs.  If you are, then you can be put on Medicaid (Medicare for people under 65 who are disabled).  If you are only considered disabled for highly physical jobs (like waitress, plumber, construction, etc), then you can even be eligible for vocational retraining.

You need to get in touch with your state labor board and understand your rights.  Most hospitals have people who work as financial counselors and can help point you in the right direction in terms of filing for assistance.  

The Social Security disability pay isn't much, but at least the health coverage should help you out.  Go to www.google.com and type of 'disability' and the name of your state.  Look up the agencies and start calling them.

You may also qualify for subsidized medications from the manufacturers of the remission drug you took.  Find out who the manufacturer is, and if it's a drug that has no generic substitute, most of these companies have programs where you can apply to receive your medicine free.  You rheumatologist should also be able to get you samples for the short term.

Good luck.  

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support