Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyperextension---tell me about it?  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Hyperextension---tell me about it?
« on: July 20, 2002, 08:20:07 AM »
I am notorious for hyperextension in my right leg.  It's gotten worse since the lateral release on it, but 4 months after the fact and out of rehab for that leg, it's still just as uncontrollable.  Tell me anything you can about ways to control it, possible bracing, ultimate damage that may occur (everything).  I'm desperate to find answers and my therapist for the other leg is about to kill me because of it.  LOL
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Stacey

Re: Hyperextension---tell me about it?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 03:07:39 AM »
Hey Kris,
My suggestion is to go to your OS.  I was very hyperextensive in both knees and after a LR my knee was sublaxing medially and laterally and made my knee very unstable.  Talk to your OS about other options.  For me the only option i had was a lateral reconstruction but im sure that that is not for everybody

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 04:54:57 AM »
What is involved in a lateral reconstruction, basically what is it?  
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Stacey

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2002, 07:45:14 PM »
Hi Kris
It is my understandign that there are many ways to do a Lateral Reconstruction.  For me my OS just sutured some of the tissue around my knee in order to help with stability.  You would have to talk to your OS and see his/her version of the surgery.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 05:40:00 PM »
Most functional knee braces will help with hyperextension (I too am a notorious hperextender but then I am hypermobile in my entire body) As for the damage you could be doing it could be anything from ACL or other ligament damage to cartliage or articular cartliage damage to meniscal or muscular  or even nerve damage. These are only possiblities from what i understand and have lived through. My recommendation is to see you OS or GP and find out what solutions they have to offer ie. Brace or reco etc.
Good luck
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 03:57:37 AM »
My physical therapist actually would like to see me in one of those functional braces you speak of , however, the doc doesn't think so.  He thinks it'll limit the rehab of the muscles and they won't relearn their job.   My OS is supposed to be the best in the city with knees, but I haven't seen much of that reputation in my case.
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 04:02:45 AM »
Kris,

My OS also won't prescribe for my post-op LR leg, even though it's tracking poorly at times.  He says since the lateral retinaculum was cut, one of the best things holding the kneecap in proper alignment is the surrounding muscles.  If I use a brace, apparently, it will inhibit these muscles.  I have a brace for my other leg and it really makes a difference, but....we'll see.

Just wanted to say your OS isn't the only one shying away from bracing after an LR.  Besides, mine said I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate the pressure of the lateral buttress in most braces.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 04:16:44 AM »
I guess Kris it is just a choice between putting up with the hyperextension and the the possible muscle problems with the brace (but if oyu go back into PT for your other knee then this may limit the muscle problems of wearing a brace to limit hyperextension. PErsonally I would talk to the OS about the worry you are experiencing with the hhyperextension and the possibiliy of injuring it again or injuring something else it it. You need to explain to him how it is affecting you, how you feel about it ie. Worried, And that you want to know what he suggest that you do for it ??? as putting up with it concerns you. Talk to him about part time bracing Ie. only when walking a lot or working etc or what ever the worst time is for you with the hyperextension. Also talk to the PT more about this as you need as much info as possible to make a decisio about this for yourself as this is your body and no one understands it better than you as you live in it. Once you have all the info then you can make an informed decison.
Hope this helps
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++