Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New knee injury  (Read 509 times)

Offline Jennifer34

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
New knee injury
« on: June 22, 2019, 03:47:16 AM »
Hi

I posted on this board before with my left knee.  They did a MPFL reconstruction about 7 yrs ago.  Surgery was successful.  I had on and off problems with my other knee mostly going up and down stairs.  Not severe enough to see a dr until very recently.

Just got back from traveling through Italy for almost 18 days as well as 2 days before and after in NY.  Did alot of walking and stairs.  About 4 days into my trip when I was in Sicily, I was walking on uneven steps and stairs made out of boulders with wide gaps.  On a set of stairs, the knee snapped back and felt a pop.  Had pain and swelling on back of knee for the remainder of my trip.  My knee now either hyperextends on stairs or buckles.   I have to hold on to the railing.  Pain in knee going up and down.  On the way from airport, I got into a van shuttle and stepped up with my bad knee.  I fell down in the van landing on my left knee and arm. 

What can possibly be going on?  I can walk with minimal pain but I cringe and hold my breath on stairs and going up or down hills/steps.  Lots of pain behind knee and pressure/pain in the front upper part of knee cap. 

I am scared of a repeat with my right knee.  I did see a family dr that thinks it is an ACL injury.  I am scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday and then I see an orthopedic surgeon a week later.  Over the counter braces seem to slide down and don't provide enough support.

Any thoughts?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: New knee injury
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
ACL sounds a possibility given the mechanism of injury, swelling and the subsequent instability. MRI should confirm. You'd need an ACL brace for support if it is that
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up