Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Burning pins needles all over leg post ACLr  (Read 549 times)

Offline Aclcoping

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Burning pins needles all over leg post ACLr
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:05:15 PM »
Hi all
I am 8 days post ACLr with hamstring tendon graft. The surgery went fine and I am on track in terms of strength, ROM targets.

I underwent the surgery with general anesthesia and a femoral nerve block.

Parts of my quads/thighs are still numb and I am having a sharp pins and needles sensation (almost burns to the touch) throughout my leg, from my inner thighs to my calves and ankles.

Anyone else had any experience with the same?

Have not met the surgeon, but his assistant doc changed my dressing today said this is regard to surgery trauma and should resolve over time.

I checked with a few other friends who underwent ACLr and they did not feel this sensation.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Burning pins needles all over leg post ACLr
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »
Hi

I also had general anesthesia and a nerve block during surgery (ORIF for tibial plateau fracture). 

During my recovery, I had a lot of numbness (pins and needles) and my leg felt really heavy and could not move it unless I massaged for some time (especially when I woke up from sleeping).  The tingling went all the way from my hip to my foot. A PT patient suggested I try using compression stockings (thigh high) and this solved all my numbness issues (only wore on my operated leg).  I had two different types and used a higher compression range during the day (15-20 mm and a lower range (8-12 mm the ones they provide at the hospital) while sleeping). 

I no longer need to use these but use these on flights (both legs) to avoid DVT.

I hope this helps and  wish you a quick recovery.

Bella