Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hopeful1's post-op!  (Read 21128 times)

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
Re: Hopeful1's post-op!
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2004, 05:49:11 PM »
During this surgery, he was also going to remove my 2 tibial screws so I told him I'd never been "unscrewed" before and wondered how that would feel? (wink, wink!).

haha were you all drugged up when you said that!?

Glad you're doing good Linda :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 05:49:41 PM by Gab »
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2004, 08:31:35 PM »
Hey guys!

No, actually, I wasn't drugged up when I said the unscrewed thing...that's just how I am! ;D

Linda, sorry the pain has been so bad for you.  I can really relate, though.  The night I got home (Monday night) I was really struggling, I guess.  Even got up to take pain meds, which is unusual for me.  The next day in PT, my husband even told Kim that it was the worst he'd seen me including after the double osteotomy - that I was moaning in my sleep and everything!  Of course, after the osteotomy I was on oxycontin for a week, so I'm sure I felt a LOT less pain!  Anyway, today it's MUCH BETTER and I really feel it was worth it - I'm glad you feel that way too!  It's awful to have gone through a surgery and then wonder if you did the right thing. ???

I know you've had issues with the SO about your pain meds...but it sounds like he's managing to at least keep it to himself this time.  You know it's important to stay ahead of the pain so you can do the work necessary to maintain the ROM you had the surgery for!  Try to keep Heather's good list of instructions handy - and show it to your boyfriend if necessary.  When my husband thought I was overdoing it (he ALWAYS thinks I'm overdoing it!), it helped me a lot to show him the list.

Hang in there, my friend.  You can do it.  All of your fellow kneegeeks have faith in you, honey!

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2004, 10:36:40 PM »
Thanks for your words of encouragement, Holly!

I had my second PT visit last night, got to 105d, and went on the recumbant bike for a little while.  That was pretty exciting to me!!  unfortunately, I have stepped back today.  I could not get my knee to BUDGE past 60 this am.  After creeping up the ROM on the CPM, icng and pain meds, I can get to 80.  WHAT IS THIS??? It really isn't more swollen, though, and doesn't hurt more than it did, it is just incredibly stiff!!

I have my post-op visit this afternoon, and I was hoping to impress my OS!!  I may have over done it, yesterday.  Anyone have any hints???

I have another concern, that I will address with my OS this afternoon, but I am wondering if this happens to everyone else...  The problem seems to be circulation in my knee.  Someimes, seeemingly out of the blue, it turns a ruddy, mottled color from mid-thigh down.  My toes, in fact become a deep shade of purple.  It has slowly worsened over the past few weeks.  It ALWAYS happens after doing ROM.  In fact,  The reason I usually need to back off on ROM is because my foot falls alseep - feels completely numb.  I think is is beacuse I am not activily using my leg muscles, so they don't contract and don't pump the blood in my velns.  Any one else have this problem??

Thanks!

L.
Fell 3/02
TTT, lateral release, VMO transfer & meniscus repair on 4/20/04
Lysis of adhesions/MUA on 6/10/04
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
Normal minimal function (ie, stairs, walking, etc) by 8/23/04
NO probelms since!!
Pregnant spring 05 - Due 9/05!!!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2004, 10:47:27 PM »
L,

Having color changes is not surprising at all.  One of the definitions of a knee with scar tissue is one that turns red, purple, mottled, or warms up with any activity that the patient does.  Scar tissue can also affect circulation.  You must talk to your surgeon about the foot numbness.

As for not having swelling--I hate to tell you, but it takes a LOT of fluid in the knee capsule before it starts to actually bulge out.  When you have visible swelling, that means the knee is truly inflamed.  But you can have swelling intra-articularly and not show a lot of external signs of swelling.  Internal signs can be picked up on an MRI, or you can palpate the back of the knee and usually feel a tautness there.  And as you know, swelling can cause all kinds of insanity in the form of popping, quad inhibition (leading to mal-tracking), pigment changes and palpable heat in the knee, and so forth.

It does sound like you overdid it, and it's a bit disturbing that you can't bend past 80 degrees.  90 is usually the milestone.  HOWEVER, it is often expect that the patient will LOSE SOME ROM after having a manipulation or lysis of adhesions.  Sometimes it's just the way the knee goes.  So when that happens, and you get swelling, you go back to the basics--walking with crutches and no weight-bearing, wall slides, CPM for as long as you can stand it at a setting that is intense but NOT painful, patellar mobes, and all of the passive work that the PT has you do.  Passive meaning you don't use your own muscles or force to achieve ROM, but instead let gravity do it (wall slides) or have someone very gently bend and straighten without use of your muscles.  This can be done by PT or CPM.

Hang in there, you are only a couple of days post-op!  It took weeks for your knee to get into the state it's in, so please don't lose your positive, can-do attitude, okay?  And just keep in mind what I told Holly--not everyone responds well to the standard knee protocol, so please talk to your doctor about tweaking for your particular case.  The focus is gentle ROM and NO SWELLING, so talk with your doctor about how you can achieve those.  I know you can do it.

Also, keep in mind that you've just had general anesthesia, so your body is going to be tired, your mood may be blue, and you will get frustrated quicker than normal.  Understand this and go with it.  Cry if you want.  Just keep doing gentle, non-irritating exercises and you will ride out this rebound swelling and pain.

Take care and keep posting.  I find it unbelievable that you and Holly could both be having such bad problems at the same time, so let's be optimistic and assume that this is a NORMAL part of the 3 steps forward, 2.8 back that we see with scar tissue, okay?  Hang in there.

Sending you good vibes from the land of positive energy (no joke--look up Sedona AZ on the net!).

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2004, 06:39:27 AM »
Thank you, Heather!  You are such a wonderful resource!

I saw the OS, and - after complaining this morning, because I couldn't get much past 60 - I bent my knee (all by my legs own strength) to 95 without so much as a wince!  GO FIGURE!  Got the stitches out, reviewed what happened in OR.  They (the PA & OS) showed me a couple of pictures they took.  Apparently, most of my knee was pretty clean, except a BIG wad of scar tissue glueing the inside , top part of my patella to my femur.  The before picture was one mass of lumpy cottage cheese.  The after was 2 distinct smooth shapes.  That was the only spot of scar tissue they found, they say.  :o

They are encouraging weight bearing, and want me off crutches "ASAP".  The PA did stress, however, that if ANY warmth or swelling occurs after weight bearing, or exertion of any kind, I am to STOP, Ice and elevate.  Then go back to the last activity that did NOT cause swelling, and try to advance in another few days.  So, while they said to get rid of the crutches ASAP - they expect that I'll be without crutches by my next visit in 3 weeks.  

CPM will continue until the next visit. 6 to 8 hours for the next week, then down to 4 - 6 hours for the next two.  Also, if I can arrange transportation, they'd like me to have PT 4-5 times/week.  Since I am still not driving, and my SO works, that may not be on option (the PT is only there until 5 p - so the last appt is 4 pm).  

All in all, I am progressing.  The blues are easing up, too!  I have a bad habit of foreseeing the worst thing that could happen - I really have to cut that out ;)

Cheers!

L.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2004, 10:54:32 PM »
Hmmmm- I keep reading all these posts about the emotional roller-coaster, and How progress is often 2 steps forward, one step back...it is still is hard to accept day in and day out!

I did 2 loads of laundry, and walked around the kitchen island once with ONE crutch to support me.  I felt SO proud.  I still did about 5 hours on CPM, and went to bed, feeling great.  I woke up on hour later, with a throbbing knee - needed a MAJOR pain pill!  Two hours later, needed another one.  This morning, couldn't get past 45 dg, knee is HUGE!!!!  After four hours (with a a few potty breaks) on the CPM, slowly inching up , I am at 80. (yesterday I was at 95).  Icing as much as I can stand - NO weight bearing, and  "taking it easy".  UGH!!!!!! >:(!!!!!

So - I am trying hard to keep perspective, and hope that I haven't lost any serious ground.  I vented to my SO, and he said "I think you just stick to the couch, get doped up and crank the machine up as high as you can stand!"  Kind of a shocker coming from him, but he's right.  So, I am waiting for the words to blur, and the pain to subside, so I can get some of my lost ROM back. :-/

Trying...

L.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2004, 08:55:04 PM »
Well...

Saturday was a blur!  I worked HARD on the CPM, and did WAY more ROM than I usually do.  Even though I said i was going to take it easy, I didn't.  In fact, I really worked my knee hard - after I popped a pain pill or two.  Went to bed with it throbbing, again.

Here's the curious thing - I woke up with LESS swelling and WAY more ROM.  I rested on Sunday, still following my usual CMP/stretch/ROM/take a break/Ice/repeat routine, but not pushing hard with ROM.  Got the CPM machine up to 105, with NO problem!  I felt like I made great strides with my ROM, too!  I can't figure an effective, acurate way of measuring ROM at home, but I guessed it was past 100d!

PT yesterday - 115d, with NO PROBLEM, just a little time.  My PT was so impressed, we just did other stretching, (calves, ITB) rather than dig in hard at the ROM.  I got on the recumbant bike for about 7 minutes.  I had to lift my "cheeck" off the seat to get my darn leg aorund, at times, but it felt GREAT!!  

My PT said that I may make better gains if I do HARD ROM work several times a day (like I did Saturday), and push my knee to the limit on days I DON'T go to PT, then basically rest and save my energy for PT on PT days (I go M-W-F).  Has any one else had this same experience?  I had sort of been doing it the other way around.  Saving my energy for PT.  

Also, I am wondering about this pain. It is pretty bad - I still need a couple of darvoect during the day, and I need Mepergan at night - because the pain is predictably awful at night.  I ALWAYS wake up in the middle of the night in pretty bad pain, requiring a pill.  Nighttime is the WORST! In fact - just the SHEETS touching my knee at night can cause a LOT of pain!  And, sometimes, I opt for shorts over pants, becuase the cloth sometimes hurts my knee. The OS and PT both tell me that MUA's are notoriously painful, and they are not surprised at my consumption of pain meds.  In fact - everyone is encouraging me to take MORE - around the clock, so I make sure that pain is not a limiting factor.  I agree that I should take a pain pill, and get moving, rather than lie still on the couch in pain.  But still - it's been almost 2 weeks.  

Well, must get "plugged back in".  I'd be interested to hear about pain levels from other MUA grads!!

Smoothly,

L.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2004, 09:30:21 PM »
L,

After I had MUA and Lysis of Adhesions for my frozen knee (less than 90 degrees ROM) the pain was relentless.  The more I worked the ROM, the more it hurt.  I was also encouraged to take meds around the clock and keep moving.  Sometimes, ROM work can actually help the swelling--when you're not producing a whole lot of new inflammation, you can actually pump the old stuff out by bending and straightening.  A lot of people with big knee surgeries find that their swelling doesn't go away fully until they are walking and bending almost normally.

Of course, when the swelling interferes with bending it's another issue entirely.  I think as long as you are not feeding the severe swelling--as long as pain is the only complaint and you are progressing--you should probably keep working on the ROM as your PT says.  And I mean aching pain afterward, maybe a tightness during.  Don't crank on your knee until it goes POP! and you get 15 more degrees...I've done that, and it's not recommended!

So I guess I would say as long as you are struggling to regain normal ROM, pain is to be expected and fought with everything you have!  Meds, ice, elevation, rest, CPM, an ace wrap if you have to go somewhere, etc.  Don't let fear of pain meds keep you from regaining your ROM.  There is literallly nothing that I've done that's more painful than recovering after the scar tissue has been debrided and trying to get ROM on a frozen knee.  Nothing.  I had a laparascopic appendectomy go to open laparotomy in about 10 seconds when my surgeon severed a major artery--the mesenteric artery.  It took 2 hours to get my bleeding under control and suture the artery together again, pull out all the abdominal organs (EWWW), sponge them off, put everything back, and irrigate as much blood as possible out of my abdomen.  I had peritonitis by the time they got to the surgery, so there was infection in the peritoneal cavity.  I had a 7 inch vertical incision from belly button straight down...and the pain didn't come NEAR to recoverying from knee scope for scar tissue.  Not even close.  It was more than a month before I could get out of bed using my abs, but still...it was nothing compared to my knee.

So don't be shocked, surprised, or dismayed at how rotten the recovery is.  Be glad that your PT and OS are supporting you instead of undercutting you...I've had that and it's no fun.  My first OS cut off my pain meds because he didn't believe my knee could be as painful as I said it was.  The next time he got in there, he was appalled.  He even apologized to me in post-op, if you can believe it!!  Said he was sorry, he hadn't understood what was going on in my knee.  My second OS said he'd expect me to take pain meds around the clock for about 10 weeks post-op, and then still need them for PT after that.

Hang in there.  It will get better, I promise.  You just have to keep pushing, doing the supportive care (pain meds, ice, elevation, etc.), and you will get through the Why the Heck Did I Do This to Myself phase, trust me.  It lasts a good long time, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel...and it's not the headlamp of an oncoming train.

Keep the knee working, and as long as you are making advances without massive heat or swelling, you are on the exact right track.

Heather
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2004, 05:27:33 AM »
Oh yes, the pain meds issue!

My OS does not believe in prescribing them much...I get 30 tylenol with codeine for 15-21 days.  That means I can take 2 or fewer a day.  I'm a tough lady and don't really WANT to be on the meds, but like Heather says, this has been the most painful surgery I've ever had - worse, I think, than my double osteotomy.  It seems upside down to me, but that's how it really feels.  And when I see him tomorrow, I KNOW he's not going to want to prescribe any refills because it will have been 10 days since the surgery and I SHOULD STILL HAVE SOME LEFT.  Believe me...I don't...and the yesterday and today have been HELL as a result.  It's just that I've been so eager to get off them in the past, that I can hardly believe how badly I need them this time, and I'm afraid to really PUSH for them when I see the doctor tomorrow.  I'm afraid of how it will look to him.  Like I'm addicted or something - which is probably impossible after only 10 days, but what do I know?

Heather, as always, you are an amazing source of information and inspiration.  I think all OSs should take a course from you in how to counsel patients and how to listen to their fears and frustrations - and then how to give ENCOURAGING suggestions and advice!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! ;D ;D ;D

Linda, I've always done that "work the knee hard on days I'm NOT going to PT, and take it easy on PT days" plan.  I figure Kim will practically kill me in PT, so it's up to me to kill myself on those other days.  Like you, I go to PT on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Also, I'm glad your SO seems to have finally gotten the right idea and is being supportive of what you need to do to get your knee back.  Sometimes guys really can locate their brains, dust them off, and use them! ;D

Hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2004, 05:58:52 AM »
Holly,

If one of your children or your husband or your best friend were in exactly your situation with respect to the painful recovery and the supply of pain meds running low, what would you tell them?  If you were with them in the room with the doctor, what would you say to the doctor if he balked at refilling the meds?

So when you see the doctor tomorrow, pretend that you are someone else and defend yourself and stand up for yourself as vigorously as you would your children, okay?  Explain to the doctor (I did this as well) that you went off pain meds after a freaking osteotomy because you didn't want to take them, and yet this time you need them or the pain keeps you from working on ROM.

Hopefully, your OS will just pick up on the fact that you've been working hard and will refill the meds with no questions asked--and more than a measly 2 pills per day.  Furthermore, you should NOT let them run out.  You shouldn't stop taking them suddenly because it can make your pain rebound--and it can make you sick, as well.  

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Believe me, I've been there with the clueless OS...this is the same guy who said a lateral release was 'no big deal' and that I'd be back at the gym in a month.  HAH!  I'd like to perform the surgery on HIM and see HIM back in the gym in a month.  And cut HIM off pain meds when his knee is frozen and can't bend and heats up enough so that you could toast marshmallows on them....don't get me started.  Injustice and indifference to suffering really pisses me off!

Heather

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2004, 07:14:42 AM »
WHEW!

What a relief! I mean -  I am sorry anyone EVER has to go through this- but I don't feel so alone in this incredible pain thing!  

Holly and Heather, thank you SO much for your support!  It reall helps me get through this!

I keep hoping that each day is better - and it is, from an ROM and functional capacity.  But the pain is NO better.  In some ways, it's worse - as my mobility and function improve, I do more.  I do more, I hurt more.
Things really are OK with meds on board, but I get incredibly LOOPY!!!  Tonight, for example, I had my frist night out in a long time.  WOW- we went to a deli downtown, and didn't carry out.  I was brave, and ATE THERE! HeHe! Idid fine - but laughed too loud.  And I had the really odd feeling that my leg was still  -S-L-O-W-L-Y- going from -5 to 110.  It was sort of, like a dizzy feeling.  :P That happens when I've been on the CPM for more than 1 1/2 hours at a time!  ::)

I'm elated to have gone out tonight, but am paying for in throbs!! Must ice!!

Dizzily,

L.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2004, 11:37:35 PM »
So,  I posted my success on another thread, and wanted to give a brief update, and vent about healthcare prioviders!!

My knee really is doing GREAT, as long as I take Darvocet.  It still can really get sore!! That is a bit dissappointing, but, when the pain is under control, I can do GREAT things in PT, and at home.  When my knee doesn't hurt, I can walk around without crutches, and I can bend my knee to almost 135, with NO pain or stiffness.  I ran out of it this weekend, and have relied on Ibuprophen and tylenol.  I know, I should have planned ahead and requested a re-fill before the weeken, but I did not anticipate that my last PT session would leave me INCREDIBLY sore for a couple of days. I took a few more pills that usual!  

It does not hurt all the time, but when I go to bend, or put weight on it, it does.  After nearly 48 hours without pain meds, I am back to just over 90 d, without pain, and I top out at about 105.  I called the OS office first thing this morning, but it is thier policy to take 24-48 hours to get an RX refilled.  No exception. I left a message this morning expaining the situtaion asking for a refill today.  I did not hear back, so I just now spoke to my OS's assistant (she is a medical assisstant, not an RN), and she read me the riot act for DARING to ask for an exception to thier "48 hour rule".  The said, quite curtly, "I'll see what I can do, but this really is inconvenient, and I may not be able to do this for you. Good bye."  She hung up.   I think that is a bit inhumane!  And RUDE!  

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!  I have been a nurse for quite awhile, and I used to work in a clinic, where I handled all the patient calls.  I NEVER behaved like that. True, some requests were "inconvenient", however reviewing a medical chart, chatting with a Dr. and calling a pharmacy is FAR LESS inconveninet that being IN PAIN, or needing anything, for that matter.  How dare that medical assistant treat me that way!!  I will be sure to mention this to the OS at my next visit!  He goes the extra mile to make sure his patients needs are met - he needs to know that his staff does not share that saem value!!

WHEW!!  Thanks for listening!! I have a short fuse today - thanks for allowing me to vent my frustration!!

I'm trying,

L.    >:(
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2004, 09:23:03 PM »
Having a much better day, after getting some pain relief last night.  I relayed my story to my PT after he watched me get pale and saw my knee get that shiney-red-purple motled color it does when I am in pain.  He called my OS after I left, and I got an appolopegetic phone call from the PA.  He said that the Medical assistant didn't let them know of my re-fill request was inexcusable.  It is not the first time this has happened, and I am sure it won't be the last.  I really hope that women NEVER has to face pain like this, and being told that remaining in pain for 48 hours is the only option.  

I actually did ok in PT yesterday - even without adequate pain relief!  I got to 130+, and rode the bike.  I am back to work today - the first day with out major hours on the CPM.  We'll see how the day goes.  I feel pretty darn good right now (lunch time), so think all will be fine!  My boss is out, and I have NOTHING to do, however, so I may just stay home, plugged in for the rest of the week.

Thank you all for reading this roller-coaster posting!

L.

Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2004, 12:56:23 AM »
Hey Linda!

Boy, have you EVER been on a rollercoaster! :o  I'm always amazed at the obnoxious and insensitive attitude of so many medical support staff.  It's like they ENJOY making us suffer so that we know how IMPORTANT they are!  Seriously...did they used to work for the KGB?!  Glad you finally got your pain meds, because I know all too well how much damage it does when you can't do the work you need to do (in PT and at home) because it's just too excruciating!

On the plus side, I'm so jealous of your ROM!  Is the 130d active or passive ROM?  I can't get past about 120d active ROM, but I think I'm doing somewhat better when Kim pushes it for me.  Of course, I kind of want to hit her (no one really ENJOYS being pushed in ROM), but I know she's doing what needs to be done, and she does it as gently as possible.  It's funny, isn't it, how much more the MUA hurt than your other "MAJOR" surgery.  Mine too!

Keep up the good work, and DON'T OVERDO AT WORK!  It's great if your boss is out on and off so that you can try to take it easy.  I start a new job on July 19th (if my OS releases me) and I'm kind of dreading the pain I may have at the end of my 9hr. days.  I have a very physical job...but what can you do?

Hugs to you, honey.  You're doing GREAT! ;D

Holly

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2004, 03:12:59 AM »
Wow. I admire everyone on here who wouldn't tell this guy to go @#$% himself. I guess I've been in pain so long that anyone who dares question me is risking their life. My whole family thinks I'm drug addicted. I'm under pain management and I can tell you that I'm at a 6-7 on a scale of 0-10 24 hrs a day. I take time-released morphine (1 every 8hrs) and it doesn't last more than 3 or 4 hours. And even then I don't think it touches the pain. I think it convinces my brain that I can handle it. My PM doc was going to give me methadone. I told him I have a full time job and a 10yr old son. I had to function. My whole life is about how many steps something is going to take before I even move from a chair or couch. I guess because I'm not writhing on the floor, it's hard to believe I really hurt. I get tired of telling my family I don't want to go anywhere. And I remember ALL 12 of my surgeries. Some of those were arthroscopies and they hurt too!! As soon as everything wears off it's excruciating. You'll still want the meds through physical therapy too! I call them physical terrorists! Keep your meds close to you and then he doesn't have to know what or when you're taking them. If it bothers him ask him to keep it to himself. I think I might've hit him already, sensative or not. I think I'm having a bad day. I still have 45 min left from work and my legs are killing me. I'll probably down 10 tylanal even though my PM doc said I would be breaking the contract I signed with him. He says my liver/kidneys are going to start to fail. Like anyone in pain really cares about that. GEEZ! I hope your recovery goes well. And please take your meds as directed. Even if you don't feel you need them at the moment. It's hard to control the pain if you wait until you're in so much pain. Sorry for the rant. I sure appreciate this site. I was so arrogant to think that no one in the world knew what I was going through. Thanks everyone.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

support