Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Paula's 2nd TTT...  (Read 13965 times)

Offline phillytx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Paula's 2nd TTT...
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2004, 01:48:36 AM »
I'm glad to hear of your progress!

Heather, I had a similar septic problem as you.  My knee became septic 10 days after surgery.  I was on 2 different oral antibiotics for a week, then had the knee drained and was hospitalized for 5 days.
Where I differ from you is that I am still on Levoquin (IV antibiotic) 2x/day for the next 3 weeks.

It was so strange reading your story - I had to let you know.  I'm glad you've recovered (it's inspiring!)

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 10:49:53 PM »
i'm still hanging in there.

I'm up to 2-3 miles a day walking... i put in almost 18 miles last week.

My left knee (jan surgery) is bothering me a lot lately...  i noticed it last night as i kneeled on it on the bed to reach the ceiling fan... i had a sharp pain shoot through my knee right where the dr said the tendonitis is...  I hate that it's getting worse when it was feeling sooo good.  My right knee is getting better though...  It's still not as strong as it could be, but it's fully bending and extending.  I'm not getting the sharp shin pains near as much any more... so i'm figuring the bone is almost all healed up.   When it get's sore (like after walking) i have a hard time doing stairs... but that will get better with time.

I'm sleeping almost normal now and besides just being careful when is sit and stand, and up & down stairs, and when i walk on uneaven surfaces...   things are really pretty good.

I bought a bathing suit last night so i'm gonna try to start going swimming...   I figure it will be good on my knees.   I'm also going to start going to the gym next week...  on my off days from PT...  It will be good to get back there :)

I see the dr in 7 weeks from today...   i'm hoping the tendonitis calms down by then... and i should be quite well healed by then :)

-Paula
Left Knee - Modified Elmslie TTT with a lateral release and patella shaving - January 14, 2004
Right Knee - same surgery - June 9, 2004

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2004, 05:21:52 PM »
my stupid left knee has been really sore lately... the tendonitis is getting worse so i've cut out walking a bit to see if it starts feeling better.  I hope so.

With PT, swimming and biking hopefully it will start feeling more normal.

My right knee is coming along... hurts sometimes, but usually when i've overdone it walking... so it should be doing fine too here in a week or so i hope.

-Paula
Left Knee - Modified Elmslie TTT with a lateral release and patella shaving - January 14, 2004

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm having really good knee days lately.

I'm 9 weeks out from surgery as of wednesday 11th.   The incision is healed over fully now without scabs and such.  My knee is sore sometimes when i do too much walking or forget about my knee and try to squat or kneel to reach something.

I guess the cool thing is that i'm forgetting about my knees.   I don't have to plan my activities around them in anticipation of the pain, swelling and lack of endurance that i dealt with before and after surgery.

I'm still doing PT and still making progress.   I'm guessing that next week will be my last week at PT.  I'm not 'recovered' 100% yet and i have a lot of strengthening to go...    but i am now finally bending fully and straightening to 0 so things are good in that respect.  I figure that once i'm done with PT i'll be able to get back to the gym and work on leg presses, hamstring exercises and do the bike, eliptical and treadmill as tolerated.  

Oh, and the catching and popping i was having... they are diminishing...   i'm guessing that as i break up the scar tissue and strengthen my knee they are getting better and better :)  

Things are looking good :)

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2004, 05:33:44 PM »
Well... I'm still hanging around here :)   Talked to my PT yesterday and she looked at both knees and said my tendonitis is looking worse on my left knee than it has been lately.    So she recommended I call my dr and see if he can ammend my pt orders to include treatment of my left knee since i'm already going for my right.  

She said they've got some things they can do for tendonitis with anti-inflamatory medicines and she gave me a patella tendon strap to use when i'm walking.

So, i called my OS's office and the physician assistant guy agreed and they faxed over new PT orders for both knees and changed the orders some.   I'm glad :)   Hopefully the new orders will allow the PT to help me get my left knee feeling better and both knees stronger.

I can't wait to go on monday and see what i get to do :)
(i never thought i'd be happy to go to PT :) )

-Paula

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2004, 04:20:06 PM »
Well i've had 3 sessions of PT where they did the treatment to my left knee that has tendonitis.

They stick this thing over the tendon and another on my calf and then let ithe machine run for a while... from what i can tell medicine is pulled out of the thing over my tendon into my knee...    it's a bit sore when the treatment is done, but it feels pretty good now :)

my right knee is getting stronger too.   It's been feeling pretty good lately...  I still get stiff/sore when i've been up on my feet all day, especially at the end of the evening and especially with weather changes.

-Paula

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2004, 05:42:06 PM »
I just thought i'd post and give everyone an update :)

I'm now 15 weeks out from my TTT on my right knee. (and about 8 months out from my TTT on the left)

Even with the tendonitis i'm experiencing... things are going good.   I don't have as much pain getting full extension.  I can squat down to like pick things up.  It's uncomfortable and still a bit hard to use my legs to get back up to a standing position... but it sure is progress.

I'm also finding that i don't 'think' about my knees as much...   I don't have to worry that they'll hurt a lot if i walk too much.  I don't have to be as careful out of necessity when doing stairs.  I'm pretty much to life back to normal... except with the occassional stiff morning, and i do have to ice after i work out.

All in all, i'm happy :)   I no longer worry that my knees are going to give out at any given moment.  They are stronger than they ever have been and i'm healthy.  I can't ask for anything more.

-Paula

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2004, 03:21:50 AM »
Paula!

Thanks for posting your post-op adventures!  I am 5 weeks out of my TTT, so I found your progress to be very motivating!  Thanks again and many hugs!

Chris :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2004, 03:35:23 AM »
Wow, you can squat?! That's awesome! Thanx for sharing. It's great to hear someone's success story! ;D
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2004, 05:05:55 PM »
I had my 3 month followup appt on Monday :)

My OS was very pleased with my progress.  He said I can discontinue physical therapy.  He wants me to keep doing the at-home exercises and to start walking more and maybe going to the gym.

I see him in another couple months :)  

I'm glad he's pleased with my progress.

cat:  yep i can squat down as if to pick stuff up... and i can kneel on a padded surface.   both make my knees sore but are do-able...  hopefully that will get better over time such that it will no longer bother me.
-Paula

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2004, 06:59:06 PM »
I've been released from dr care and have been done with PT for a couple months now.

Everything has been going fine.   Until now.

I started noticing sharp pains in my left shin area where the screws are.  And they are becoming more prominent.  My OS took x-rays and they are backing out.   I'm almost a year out from my TTT so he's going to remove them on december 22nd.

I'm wondering if the screws workign their way out a bit has been what was causing my tendontiis?  it would seem to make sense as the screws are holding the tendon down in it's new location and with them backing out gradually it would irriitate the tendon.

Anywway, i'm having them out on the 22nd.   He said it's a quick procedure and i shouldn't have any problems afterwards.  My right knee has been fine...  no tendonitis and the screw heads aren't backing out.  it is about 6 months out from surgery... so maybe i'll be lucky and the screw won't bother me in that knee (my right only has 1 screw)

even with the screw issue, i still consider my surgeries a success.  my knees are better than ever and except for stiffness on cold rainy days... all is good.

-Paula

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2004, 06:54:46 PM »
well, i had my screws out last wednesday.

They put me out and i woke up groggy from the stuff they give you to put you out... but otherwise i felt fine.   they injected me with local anasthetic so that helped out a lot.

i even went home and baked cookies!

thursday, it hurt like heck though.  not really any bleeding to speak of.   just throbbing hurt.  and my leg was a bit swollen and stiff a bit but nothing too bad.  

it's gotten better these last few days and now it just hurts  a bit...  especially if i bump it!   nothing that a bit of ultracet can't take care of.

:)  all in all i'm pretty pleased... not near as bad as i thought and now with the screws out.. hopefully things will continue to get better.

-Paula

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2004, 07:25:34 PM »
Hi Paula,

I just read your thread. It was very motivating and good to hear about a second time around as that is most likely in my future as well.  I am 7 weeks out of my first TTT- left knee and enjoying being able to walk again- however slowly. The right knee is acting up quite a bit and we just got a storm in - very unusual for Southern California - so I took drugs.  My question to you is how was swimming on your knee(s)? I am looking forward to  getting the pool, but I have only made it to the jacuzzi so far.

I hope the screw site is feeling better for you,

Take care, Cheryl ;)
In full recovery!, (with a touch of arthritis during climate changes...)

Cheryl

Osgood Slaughter RK  12 yrs old
Lateral release LK 25 yrs old followed by 5 years in knee heaven
years of pain, naprosin and falls
moderate osteoarthirtis, subluxation
TTO , LK,  11/08/04

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2004, 05:53:22 PM »
cheryl... i mostly 'ran in place' in the water.... the act of kicking my legs in the water had enough resistance that it was uncomfortable at the time... i'm hoping that by next summer things will be a lot better enough to enjoy swimming more.

my knee is doing good.   i've been bad with not elevating and icing it so it has been a bit swollen.  other than that... it's only bothering me minimally.

-Paula

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
it's been 2 weeks since my screw removal.

Tuesday, the dr took off the steri-strips and said that everything looks good.  I've got a bit of bruising but he said it's just the blood from the bone bleeding when they took the screws out that is finally coming to the surface.  I have almost no swelling any more and there really isn't any pain unless i bump the screw site or i'm on my feet for way too long.  All in all... i'm back to 'normal'.

the dr also said i can get back to the gym for light walking and ease into fast walking.  he said no running because of the impact.   He suggested i do the eliptical machine after i've eased into walking.   i can also start back up on weights after another 2 weeks.

-Paula

support