Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFPS.. Update...  (Read 136 times)

Offline spiderplant

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
PFPS.. Update...
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Howdy everyone,
Its been a while since I posted which I guess is good.  My whole story is in some other threads but basically Jan of 2018 got bad PFPS, saw Dr Dye in May, cut way back on knee use, gradually worked back up.  Today I am at 30 min of pool walking on top of about 7000 steps a day. Which isnt much but is WAY better than 2000 steps a day and house bound.  I was busy at work all spring, but had to always use the elevator (let me tell you it sucked when that broke a couple of times... trapped on an upper floor!) .  No hills and few stairs.   Dr Dye wants me to start working on the exercise bike now.  to build better quads, since pool walking doesnt really give a full ROM I think.  I am only on one med (Cymbalta, which helps both pain and depression... I mostly have neither anymore), havent iced in months. I still really like an evening sit in a hot bath, it can help with discomfort, and I think a lot of my discomfort anymore is related to trigger points which I am constantly having treated. ( I seem to have multiple issues).  Also my right knee is still sensitive to humidity which given that I live in the humid south is unfortunate. Anyway I feel like I am living life again even if I still have a lot of things I have to avoid, its not nearly as bad as it was.  So I guess my overall message, although a sample size of one, is that Dr Dye's method does seem to work.  It takes what feels like forever though.  Getting through the mental part is very difficult.   I needed the help of gabapentin and advil, (and cymbalta) and was able to wean off the gabapentin slowly with no ill effects. (Advil you can just stop taking). 

Offline spiderplant

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: PFPS.. Update...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
So I was hoping some of you guys would add your own updates....I know you are still out there!

On the bad side, the transition to the exercise bike has not gone well, I did 6 min twice at level 3 out of 25, which seemed mostly OK, but 7 minutes caused a mini flare.   So not as far along as I had hoped.  Dr Dye told me to start at 5 min, then go to 10, 15 etc but it seems I have to out-radical-incrementalize him!  sigh.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 44
Re: PFPS.. Update...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:06:27 AM »
My PFPS and Patella Chondromalacia symptoms are the best they've been in 7yrs.  I'm back to some pretty hard cycling (3x/week for up to 2hrs), and gym leg work.  I'm trying to very very slowly re-introduce a little running (e.g. 10mins of 1min walk/1min easy run on treadmill).

But the spot where I had my medial meniscus trim 7yrs ago is twitchier than ever.  Not sure if it is the attempt to return to running, a few events on rough ground while out fishing (one jump from rock to rock in particular rings a bell), or just the fact that I've generally increased my exercise levels?  Strangely, it seems worst at rest or first thing in the morning, not when running or riding or gyming?

One other tip - I take a teaspoon of beef-based cooking gelatin in my drink every morning.  It's supposed to be good for cartilage/tendons etc.  Not sure if that has been a contributor to my improvement, but it is cheap and harmless so why not.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2019 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons