Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Radiofrequency ablation for knee pain  (Read 1821 times)

Offline adamas

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Radiofrequency ablation for knee pain
« on: April 16, 2019, 03:10:08 AM »
Has anyone ever had genicular radiofrequency ablation for chronic knee pain?

I searched the forum, and there are a few topics, but these are rather old and people who underwent the procedure often did not follow up.

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: Radiofrequency ablation for knee pain
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
I had the Diagnostic genicular nerve block which you have before ablation to see if it is likely to help.
I can honestly say I have never experienced pain like it. It was like having a hot knife stuck into nerves.  zero positive effect and I was in that much pain they kept having to stop as I was starting to faint. I told them to carry on as I really wanted this to work and figured it couldn't go on much longer but I was freaking the nurse out by fainting reactions. I also found it near impossible to hold knee still so had 2 people pinning it down so they could do it.  I tried my best to hold still but when it hurts that much you just cannot.    I still not sure if they fully completed the procedure but they stopped after 15 minutes of ramming needles into nerves.

I was told I would not benefit from ablation as the diagnostic one did not help me and also in the NHS they do it with you awake and my pain level being off the scale there is no way I would be able to stay still while they did it.     I had no improvement in pain level and felt literally in shock for days after.

I'm sure it works for some people but if you want it done see if you can get it done under anasthetic. at least take someone with you - I went alone and trying to get home was hard as was so shaken up
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:59:42 AM by sunn »

support