Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Getting Out Of The Habit Of Limping ??  (Read 277 times)

Offline JayF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Getting Out Of The Habit Of Limping ??
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »
So my knee pain has a got a lot better and the pain now is very minimal thankfully(touch wood), more of just a discomfort, but the problem is i'm still finding that i'm limping when I walk , I think that it is more of a psychological or habit type of thing because i've been used to limping and not putting weight on the left leg for the past few months but I notice i'm still limping even though there's not much pain there, does anyone have any tips to get out of the habit ? I don't think it helps also because my knee is pretty much the only thing i've been thinking and worrying about for the past 2 months , I'm back to work tomorrow so hopefully the more I keep walking the more I will get back to walking normally ? Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:14:31 PM by JayF »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Getting Out Of The Habit Of Limping ??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
You need to focus on walking normally, walk slowly and concentrate on your stride. Carry on with any physio exercises to work on any muscle imbalance and especially focus on any that work on extension as you need full extension when walking without a limp

Get your physio to advise if necessary, they can also help with the psychological side of rehab
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JayF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »
Thanks for that, think I just need to keep walking as much as possible even though there's a little bit of pain still.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Might sound very basic and simple advice. My PT told me can reduce my limping by stepping heel to toe plus loosening tensed up muscles by doing daily calf stretching and wall squats for 20 seconds have reduced my limping. Still walking at a slower pace then I would like to be walking but with less noticeable limping. Can feel the tensed up quad muscles releasing after just 2 calf stretch lifts.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming