Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chances of future problems  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Puzzledbubbles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Chances of future problems
« on: August 01, 2002, 01:18:36 AM »
Hey everyone,

i was just wondering what the expiriences everyone has had a while after the op, i am expecting a few problems to stay such as the pain that responds to the weather and the aches and pains but i was just wondering about things like arthiritus and stuff which i dont really have any epirience with.

Any advice is always appriciated

Luv and hugs

Puzzledbubbles
Knee probs for 5 years before my first surgery of an Elmslie Trillat and a latera release.
3 years post-op still suffering and now thinking about surgery on my right knee

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Chances of future problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 02:27:58 AM »
Hi,

My first operation was when I was 18. I was told that everything that would be done would be to buy me time. I think you need to ask the OS directly to be honest and let you know what you might expect. Everyone is different. My OS knew from the get go that things were bad, but knew telling me was like talking to a wall. I found out within 2 weeks that I would never compete again or be able to live as I always had. My knees were done cooperating with my lifestyle.

Since then I have lived with the pain. I have had TTTs on both legs releases and more cleaning out. Now it is time for a PKR. My only other options were to continue living with the pain(which I could not) or a patellectomy. The PKR was the only one the OS was finally willing to do.

Good luck and ask your OS to be honest and not nice.

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 03:54:34 AM »
Hi there.

I was told that joint surgery, or perhaps the conditions leading to the necessity of joint surgery, would hasten the process of osteoarthritis that most people over 60 will eventually go through.  When my brother had 2 partial menisectomies, he was advised by his surgeon that his knee would in all likelihood give him trouble when he was much older.

At this point, I've had one doctor tell me I have signs of osteoarthritis already as a result of 4 scopes, while my original surgeon says he wants to look at 3 sets of x-rays from the last 18 months before he speaks.

I think they're all guessing.

But if you want my take on future problems based on my past experience, here goes.  I wish someone had told me--not that it would have changed my mind, but I might have been better prepared for complications.

*scar tissue- this can develop immediately or over years
*soft tissue damage & recurring swelling
nerve damage * - creepy crawly spider on your leg feeling
*changing knee mechanics - (i.e. through lateral release or TTT) will eventually cause abnormal wear on other parts of knee
*cascade of surgeries -  the Domino Effect
*lowered pain threshold due to chronic pain - has anyone else noticed it?  I once walked around with an inflamed appendix for a week and didn't really feel the pain was unbearable, yet come home now shaking from the pain of a 1 hour PT session.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 04:01:46 AM »
Let me add a disclaimer--I don't want anyone considering surgery be frightened away.  

Everyone form OS to PT agrees that I am the best patient they've ever had with respect to following instructions, not overdoing it but keeping knee mobile post-op, informing myself on my condition, and doing my home exercises every day.

Everyone also agrees that I have some of the strangest complications they've ever seen.  As my OS said to me:  "We do see some of these complications in different people, but never all of them in one patient...until you."

Happy to keep everyone on their toes....

Keep smiling, it'll keep them guessing.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 05:44:07 AM »
Puzzledbubbles, pain and suffering are the reward we all reap for living to an unjustifiably old age!

Whether you are going to suffer arthritis or not is in the luck of the genetic draw.  Intrusive therapy will always have a downside, the question you have got to ask is will the end result give me a better standard of life than just carrying the injury?  

If the answer comes up yes then it's gotta be worth the shot.  If it's no then the business of compensating for the injury and making the best of the situation 'til someone can give you a "yes" answer is the way to go.  

Be very wary of folks who promise to make your knee as good as new, it's not a realistic expectation, better than it is is is often achieveable and every once in a while as good as it was can also occur.  Perception is very much what you make it.  It's your knee, only you know how bad it could be and only you will be able to perform a subjective review on the success or otherwise of any repairs.

I suspect that each of us is capable of finding an acceptable level of background noise in the form of the occasional twinge due to the weather or degenerative illness (like arthritis) and making the appropriate modifications to our lifestyle to compensate.

When it's all said you probably haven't altered the odds that greatly.

Keep smiling kid!  The World is a beautiful place and life just keeps on getting better, enjoy every minute and live it like you're gonna be hit by a truck tomorrow!  You can't do that wrapped in cotton wool mate, you have to get on with living.  Don't miss anything, don't even stop for breath! :D
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline Grace

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • wish i could fly like superman..or at least walk
Ross...such an inspiration!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 12:00:36 AM »
Hey Ross!  You are such a positive guy!  I always laugh, smile or at least feel better after reading a post from you...wether its for me or someone else!  

You say pain is from living to an unjustifiably old age....I am still a spring chick....20 yrs old witha birthday in Sept!

And the thing about you could be hit by a truck.....i was...an 18 wheeler...on the way to my pre-op physical none the less!! LOL  Maybe it was a sign not to do it! LOL

Keep the positive thoughts and vibes coming..they are a great pick me up!  And yes...the franchise lives!!
                                 Hugs - Grace
8 months of continuous physical therapy
plica excision/ shaving 6-10-02
5 months of agressive physical therapy
modified Fulkerson and lateral release 5-13-03
currently in limbo

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 02:44:31 AM »
Gracie hon, by the time I was your age I had achieved a catalogue of busted bones that included most of the majors and in good general distribution.  I know a fair bit about waking up in casualty, and I know that the bulk of my pain was self inflicted.  It's a bloke thing!

I had one particularly bad session of the most excrutiating pain about fifteen years ago, I was working in a high stress situation and had let my physical fitness regime slip.  I woke up one morning unable to move my legs, not especially good for a bloke who needs to get fit!  

My magic hands bloke said "just call an ambulance Ross!" and I did.  I was lying on a hospital trolley feeling pretty miserable and the thought came to me "I'd be better off dead"  followed immediately by "bite your bl..dy tongue you negative p..ck!"  

When I was not much older than you I had been told that I would never walk again, I did six months later.  There is nothing that can defeat the positive power of your mind.  You can overcome any pain or disability by using your own strength.  Surgery is an absolute last resort as far as I am concerned, once everything else has failed THEN I will consider allowing someone else to intervene and I only allow them sufficient authority to perfom minor functions and modifications that I can't.  My recovery is mine, I assume full responsibility for getting better.

Once you own it, the thing has to work or you have to make it work.  While you can lay the responsibility for your recovery on somebody else it isn't really personal.

A meeting with an eighteen wheeler on the day of the pre-op does indicate an inauspicious choice of day for the consultation!  Very bad khama!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 04:48:31 PM »
Hi Ross!
I must say that by and large I do agree with you: recovery is in our own hands--up to a point.

I think we all need guidance as to how far and how much we can do recovering from knee surgery (or any other surgery for that matter) and just relying on my own positiv thinking (which I hope I have enough of to get me through an oats operation in SEpt.) might push things too far too soon.

Other than that, I do think that we can be masters of our own fates and your analogy about the truck is correct. It is best to try and live like that, although it isn't easy. Anyway I have already starting thinking very positive about my upcoming oats, it is not going to be a snap, but I hope that it will be easier than I am imagining!!! I am meditating and visualizing a very healthy knee after surgery.

See you on the ski slopes next winter--or baring that hiking a trail next summer!
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Puzzledbubbles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 12:08:21 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses. I know that at some point i am 65% likely to get rhumatide arthiritus cause both my parents have it alongside many other problems that i am likely to inherit but i am gonna take a leaf out of Ross's book and be positive, i have so much going for me at the moment and im gonna do everthing i want no matter what even if it envolves doing stuff on crutches or going out wearing trouses to hide my huge support brace.

Take care everyone

luv and hugs

Puzzledbubbles
Knee probs for 5 years before my first surgery of an Elmslie Trillat and a latera release.
3 years post-op still suffering and now thinking about surgery on my right knee

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2002, 02:49:49 AM »
Puzzledbubbles, I'm not for a moment suggesting that you just imagine up a cure for yourself, what I am saying though is that it is vital that you become the leader of the team that is going to find a way.

If you own the responsibility, then you have a very personal reason to succeed.  If you leave the miracle to others then you can only ever be a bit player in an orthopaedic surgeon's plan to get rich, you cannot but be disappointed with the result!

It's your knee, it's your situation, you can and will find your own solution/s!  Nobody on Earth has the right to set any limits on your achievements.

Genetic arthritis is an area that they are working on as we speak, healthy diet, lots of exercise and a positive mental attitude are vital components in attenuating the effects of arthritis.  I pray that by the time you are old enough to experience it, science will have found the cure.

Keep smiling kid, be very brave and positive, fortune favours the brave!

support