Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain on the other side of the knee after meniscectomy  (Read 2344 times)

Offline tillwint

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain on the other side of the knee after meniscectomy
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
Hey guys, just found this forum.
I am 21 years old and had a meniscectomy of my lateral meniscus (about 50% trimmed) 4 months ago.
The PT was a bit rough and my recovery took a bit longer than expected. Besides walking i didn't do any sports since the surgery.
About one month ago i started having pain on the inside of my knee while walking. It hurt when my feet would touch the ground (impact pain)and it hurt the most when i tried to squat down. On some days i dont feel it at all and on other days it hurts with every step.
I went to see the doc and he wasn't sure what it could be and just left me with inflammatory meds after one minute and without proper examination. I feel very helpless at the moment and it seems the doc doesnt want to help me after he took the money for the surgery.
I already have an appointment with another doc but i have to wait another month for that.

Here is some extra info:
Looking back i really regret having this surgery since i feel like it was not needed. I was having pain once every 4-6 weeks for a few days but other than that my knee just hurt a little and flexion was 100% possible (I also had this pain once on the right knee 7 months ago). I felt like the cause for my pain was that my knee turn inwards (my kneecaps point at each other a bit).
I had an MRI on both knees which showed nothing but i kept having these days where walking and especially walking downstairs just hurt alot. So i took the MRI pictures and went to an "expert" for knee surgery and he said that on the MRI there was a tiny tear in my lateral meniscus in my left knee. He said that i had to do the meniscectomy because i would risk having more pain and athrosis in the future if i don't.
At that time i was really depressed beacause of a bunch of things in my life. I was willing to do anything to relief any kind of pain in my life, so i agreed on the meniscectomy.
The tiny tear apparently was not that tiny and the doc said that there were multiple tears. Thats why he removed 50% of the meniscus.

The surgery was 4 months ago and now my knee still feels instable and the pain shifted from the outside to the inside of the knee (and my situation is arguably worse than before).
Can anyone help me with this? Any input or advice is appreciated. Thank You!

(Sorry for sh*tty formatting and my bad english)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Pain on the other side of the knee after meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
In your shoes, while waiting to see the other surgeon, go see another physiotherapist (or the same one if they're any good but it doesn't sound it) and get your gait fully assessed and a thorough check of all your muscles and alignment from hips to feet, strength, flexibility, firing and balance.

You need to get all those muscles in balance to support your knee as effectively as possible and to make up for the lesser shock absorption due to the missing meniscus. Otherwise, there is a risk of the articular cartilage taking a pounding. How did the meniscus get into that state given your young age? Lots of high impact sport?

In what way was PT rough? It shouldn't have been painful or excessively tough

3-6 months recovery isn't unusual, your biomechanics have been changed, your body needs to adapt, physio should be helping it to do So

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline tillwint

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply,

In what way was PT rough? It shouldn't have been painful or excessively tough
I think I was exaggerating by saying that the PT was rough. It was OK to be honest but afterwards i didn't feel like i could do any jogging or running.

In your shoes, while waiting to see the other surgeon, go see another physiotherapist
Unfortunately i'll have to wait for the appointment, because the doc needs to send me to the PT. Otherwise i would have to pay for it myself and i'm not able to do that. For now i just do stretches before going to bed.

How did the meniscus get into that state given your young age? Lots of high impact sport?
That's why i feel really weird about this whole thing. For the last 5 years i was pretty inactive and didnt do any high impact sport at all.
As a kid i used to play a bit of football (soccer) but only with friends in the summer and not in a club.
But since i was a teenager something always felt off about my knees and i often had mild pain but neither I or the docs could figure out what the problem was.
There was nothing spectacular that triggered it. 15 months ago I was out shopping and was on my feet for a couple of hours. Suddenly I had this pain on the outside of my knee between the outside of the knee and the fibula. With every step it hurt more and more and after a minute i was limping. I rested for a few days and it stopped hurting.
Then like a month later i was again on my feet for a couple hours and that triggered it again. I rested again for a few days and it was gone.
This cycle repeated itself every few weeks/months. I also had this once on my right knee. The MRI was done after the first time.
To this day i don't know why I got that tear. I was also skinny my entire life so weight can't be the problem. Like I said in my first post my knees turn inward a bit (not knock knees, more like someone screwed my femur inwards) and maybe that puts pressure on the lateral meniscus, but no doc i have been to ever mentioned it. I really don't know at this point.

Again, thank you very much for your reply. I see you are replying to a lot of posts here and helping people. You are a good guy.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:50:40 AM by tillwint »

Offline kbart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:06:37 AM »
hi tillwint,
I have much to say on your situation but would rather contact you privately.  i'm new to the forum and am not sure how to do this.  if you (or anyone else) can advise me on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
You can send private messages once you've posted 20 times on the forum. You can use the games room and other social areas to get your post count up.
However, tillwint hasn't visited the forum for 6 months and may or may not still be active (as a new member, they won't be able to PM either)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:43:54 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up