Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteotomy questions  (Read 894 times)

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteotomy questions
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:58:45 PM »
Hello,

I posted this same post in the "Changing forces.." section below, but i am not sure it will get as much traffic down there so I thought I would try here as well.

I am scheduled to have a closed wedge HTO in May in order to relieve my medial compartment from some weight.

I was told by my OS that my leg will look slightly different after the surgery because of the change in alignment.  He said it would be a slight difference in appearance that you would notice only if I was standing and you were looking directly at my knees.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me how their leg looked after having this procedure.  

Also I was told I would be in a brace for six weeks after the surgery.  In asking all my questions i forgot to ask what kind of brace and how bulky it will be.  I am sure different docs use different braces, but if anyone has had a brace after this operation I would love to hear about it.

Thanks so much!

Jess  

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: Osteotomy questions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:48:59 AM »
Hi,
I answered your post in the changing forces section, but I foget to mention about how the knees look. Mine went from bow legged to knock kneed. They actually look better now.

My left leg was moved from 16 degrees bowed out to 4 degrees knock kneed. Hope that helps. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline firstlady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Osteotomy questions
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 05:59:49 AM »
Hi Jess,
My 15 yr. old son just had a distal femoral osteotomy.  His knees are perfectly aligned now.  The one thing we were not prepared for was the recovery.  He had a full leg cast on for 2 weeks and is in a brace now.  The brace is much lighter, but the movement allowed in a brace also makes it more fragile to bump or move.  Depending on your situation and how much you need to move during the day, you should be prepared for the possibility of being in a wheelchair for awhile afterward.  He can do crutches for short distances now, but to do that all day would be exhausting.  He had his surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.  

support