Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia: Doc reaction... follow on from my last post  (Read 474 times)

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • 64 year old fit female. Had PKR March 2018.
Chondromalacia: Doc reaction... follow on from my last post
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
Following on from my last post re Chrondromalacia which I've put at the base of this one. I had a phone consultation with Doc yesterday (no appointments available for 4 days!) and she thinks it's very likely I have progression of OA in this knee. Since I had PKR in the other and have got back to fitness she suspects the non op knee is reacting to the exercise and possibly getting worse. She has prescribed Naproxen and Co DyDramol to ease the stabbing pains and thinks this 'bout' is an arthritic flare up which she says could last for a few weeks. Such bad timing as I'm about to go away for three weeks, with a couple of long flights and really hope the meds work. I don't collect the meds til tomorrow. Ibuprofen and paracetamol just aren't making any difference and neither is Voltarol - the strong one.
These symptoms are totally different to the ones I got in my other knee when the OA started to get bad. That knee just gave out and from there on deteriorated rapidly with the flare ups/give outs increasing in frequency until the op. The current 'stabs/electric shot blasts' don't happen when I'm moving around walking, doing things/otherwise occupied, in fact time the knee is absolutely fine when I'm moving, but when I sit down and relax, or stand in one position for a min or so, I get a blast of them for about 5/10 mins - the pains are sharp and make me jump. Icing helps but sometimes the stabs happen with the ice uff on. Lightly massaging the area sometimes stops the spasm. So far, thankfully it doesn't happen at night in bed, (as yet!) but I have been waking up early when the first stabs start, so I usually get up then. I do wonder if it could be some sort of trapped nerve that flares up when the knee is in a certain position? Oddly there's no swelling, just some very tender areas where the pains occur. 
Sorry for the long rambling post. It's good to offload now and again even if there's no replies.

PREVIOUS POST:
Hi, Iíve posted previously about my bouts of spasmodic electric shock pains in my right knee. Last time I had them was just before Christmas and they lasted 5 days. Here I am again and Iíve been having them for the last week. They happen when Iím sat down and occasionally when Iím standing still. I think itís Chondromalacia. My symptoms seem to match up to that anyway. The pains occur at varying intervals. Sometimes I get two or three sharp pains in an hour when resting and then nothing for a couple of hours. The sharp pains occur when Iím sat down and only last a couple of seconds but they are strong enough to make me gasp. They move around the lower half of the kneecap  but  the majority are felt to the lower left of it. I donít get them in bed thankfully but despite resting, icing and taking NSAIDs this time around they Dont appears to be fading. I think this bout Is worse since last time? I workout three times a week starting with power walking for 40 mins but since this bout started Iíve stopped the walking and adjusted my gym routine to more upper body work using resistance machines to keep the weight off my knees and Iím doing a lot floor work to strengthen the muscles around the knee. The knee is making a lot more noise than usual too. I had successful PKR on the other knee a year ago and am beginning to think my right knee is going to need surgery too. Iíd appreciate any comments/feedback from anyone experiencing similar please? Should I stop the gym work until this subsides? Would that help?[/i][/i][/color]
OA in both knees probably brought on by lifetime of various impact sports.
PKR on left knee 2018 after years of problems
March 2019 start of problems with right knee but with different symptoms.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
Re: Chondromalacia: Doc reaction... follow on from my last post
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »
As a first step, try to stop the gym work and RICE a lot for a few weeks + take the prescribed meds, and hopefully the knee will settle down! If not, you should probably schedule a visit to your doc.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply Brandon and the good advice. I've not been to the gym since Monday as my efforts seemed to make the problem worse. Luckily being retired I can rest up and ice it frequently. Tried a light stretch bandage but that seemed to irritate. The area where the pains are is quite sensitive. I'm off on hols on Monday and it's a bit of a touring holiday (Indonesia, Auz and finally Dubai on the return) so there will be some walking but I'll do my best to keep it as light as possible. I will be relying on my Skechers 'Go walk' shoes which I bought post op. They are and so comfortable.  Fingers crossed the meds work as I've got 5 long flights to endure during the trip. Bad timing for this little bout of pain! Thanks again. Gilly Jay

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »
Good luck with the trip, and yes, fingers crossed those meds kick in and give you some relief. Keep us updated on your progress :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
Thanks! Will do! 👍

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
OK, so three days into my holiday and the sharp spasm pains had faded. So I stopped taking the Naproxen. All good until two days before we flew back from Dubai when they started again, quite faintly at first by here we are 5 days on and the pains are back as sharper and stronger than before. Mostly when I sit down or stand still. If I keep my foot moving when I'm sat down it helps or I just have to get up and walk around. I do get some pains walking around and it feels like there's a nerve trapping somewhere - purely guess work on my part. The meds don't seem to be making any difference unless they are reducing the intensity of the pain. I've tried Voltarol, and I ice it twice daily. I went back to the gym on monday but only did upper body weights sitting down on resistance machines. Got a doc appointment next wednesday... earliest available so going to ask for a Xray unless she comes up with some other diagnosis/treatment that will work. I think this knee is now well on the way to needing surgery as I've got more active since I had PKR on the other knee. Just hoping there may be some lesser option than another PKR/TKR... perhaps a clean up of the knee cap.

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Chondromalacia: X-ray result following on from or posting
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »
Going on from the original post. Saw doc last week and had X-ray same day. Report from X-ray confirms osteoarthritis and then mentions possibly an osteo kinetic issue which I queried and was told Ďthatís just an observation from the hospitalí. Doc said no way forward til Iíve seen the hospital physiotherapist who will prepare an exercise programme for me to include weight bearing work and knee strengthening... all those things that Iíve been doing which bring on the stabbing pains post exercise! I asked if she thought a new exercise plan would help with the pain and was told, probably not and that the pain was made st likely down to badly worn knee join but may help delay any other issues! t. I despair! She said her hands were tied with any further options as itís down o the physio to refer me to a surgeon... So it looks like a visit, again to the private OS who performed my PKR. BTW, my doc surgery had incorrect info on my records which said Iíd had TKR my right knee and not PKR on my left. V worrying that my NHS records are incorrect.

quote author=GillyJay link=topic=76301.msg694436#msg694436 date=1551965603]
Following on from my last post re Chrondromalacia which I've put at the base of this one. I had a phone consultation with Doc yesterday (no appointments available for 4 days!) and she thinks it's very likely I have progression of OA in this knee. Since I had PKR in the other and have got back to fitness she suspects the non op knee is reacting to the exercise and possibly getting worse. She has prescribed Naproxen and Co DyDramol to ease the stabbing pains and thinks this 'bout' is an arthritic flare up which she says could last for a few weeks. Such bad timing as I'm about to go away for three weeks, with a couple of long flights and really hope the meds work. I don't collect the meds til tomorrow. Ibuprofen and paracetamol just aren't making any difference and neither is Voltarol - the strong one.
These symptoms are totally different to the ones I got in my other knee when the OA started to get bad. That knee just gave out and from there on deteriorated rapidly with the flare ups/give outs increasing in frequency until the op. The current 'stabs/electric shot blasts' don't happen when I'm moving around walking, doing things/otherwise occupied, in fact time the knee is absolutely fine when I'm moving, but when I sit down and relax, or stand in one position for a min or so, I get a blast of them for about 5/10 mins - the pains are sharp and make me jump. Icing helps but sometimes the stabs happen with the ice uff on. Lightly massaging the area sometimes stops the spasm. So far, thankfully it doesn't happen at night in bed, (as yet!) but I have been waking up early when the first stabs start, so I usually get up then. I do wonder if it could be some sort of trapped nerve that flares up when the knee is in a certain position? Oddly there's no swelling, just some very tender areas where the pains occur. 
Sorry for the long rambling post. It's good to offload now and again even if there's no replies.

PREVIOUS POST:
Hi, Iíve posted previously about my bouts of spasmodic electric shock pains in my right knee. Last time I had them was just before Christmas and they lasted 5 days. Here I am again and Iíve been having them for the last week. They happen when Iím sat down and occasionally when Iím standing still. I think itís Chondromalacia. My symptoms seem to match up to that anyway. The pains occur at varying intervals. Sometimes I get two or three sharp pains in an hour when resting and then nothing for a couple of hours. The sharp pains occur when Iím sat down and only last a couple of seconds but they are strong enough to make me gasp. They move around the lower half of the kneecap  but  the majority are felt to the lower left of it. I donít get them in bed thankfully but despite resting, icing and taking NSAIDs this time around they Dont appears to be fading. I think this bout Is worse since last time? I workout three times a week starting with power walking for 40 mins but since this bout started Iíve stopped the walking and adjusted my gym routine to more upper body work using resistance machines to keep the weight off my knees and Iím doing a lot floor work to strengthen the muscles around the knee. The knee is making a lot more noise than usual too. I had successful PKR on the other knee a year ago and am beginning to think my right knee is going to need surgery too. Iíd appreciate any comments/feedback from anyone experiencing similar please? Should I stop the gym work until this subsides? Would that help?[/i][/i][/color]
[/quote]

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
My records are wrong too, my recent scope was on my left knee, not the right as my records. GP surgeries seem pretty inept at entering details from hospital letters. Just ask them to amend it  :) I need to do the same!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline GillyJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Chondromalacia: OS diagnosis so far
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »
OK, so going on from this situation. Saw the doc last week who ordered Xrays which confirmed OA (no surprise there) and a narrowing of the medial joint gap and ostephytosis with a small degree of chonedrocalcinosis. My GP has ordered a Dexa Scan for bone density to check for fracture risk and because the hospital opinion was that the bones looked 'pale' which is possibly a sign of osteoporosis or the lesser form, osteo penic. I took the Xray to the OS who performed my PKR last year. After viewing the Xrays and doing an examination, he suspects the meniscus could be torn hence the pain spasms and said there are some spurs on the knee cap which aren't helping. He's going to have an MRI done of this knee to check the state of the meniscus. He's hopeful that he can clean the knee cap/sort the meniscus using keyhole surgery but said it will all depend on what the MRI shows. Will update on this when I've had the MRI results.

PREVIOUS POST:

support