Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS??  (Read 2263 times)

Offline tina47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OATS??
« on: April 21, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
I am going to have the OATS procedure on 7 May 2004...if youknow of good sites to check out would you let me know...I want to read about the procedure and be very knowledgeable about it and the recovery prior to my surgery....thanks ;)

Offline mtnbikcowboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • all terrain life
Re: OATS??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:12:56 AM »
replied to your post on the other ......
5/02-scope, debridement
7/02-microfracture
3/03-oats-autograft
1/04-scope, debridement
3/04-oats-allograft
2/05-pkr

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 05:22:30 AM »
Good luck!  I had my OATS procedure done about a year and a half ago, and couldn't be more pleased with the results.  It is a long haul with lots of rehab, but worth every second.  I hope yours goes well.  I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Lesley
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline tina47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:02:43 PM »
My proceedure is on the weight bearing part of my femur...where was yours?  Did you use a CTM as part of recovery? How long were you on crutches (I will be non-weight bearing on crutches due to the location of my defect)?  About how long till you were getting around on your own again?  Thanks in advance for the info...I am trying to stay informed about everything that is involved before I am in the thick of it....Tina

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 10:06:25 PM »
Hi Tina,
Good luck tomorrow!
Mine was on a weight-bearing area as well.  I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my leg for six weeks, then I was allowed to "toe-touch" walk with crutches for a couple more, then I used just one crutch for a couple weeks, so I was on crutches for a total of ten weeks.  I started physical therapy after a couple weeks, I believe, and continued it for a couple months, three times a week.  I used a CPM for four weeks (be sure to check with your insurance company, because my insurance only paid for two weeks after the fact).  I was to use it as much as I could during waking hours which was a big pain in the neck, but didn't hurt my knee!  
I would suggest renting a wheelchair, it was a lifesaver in the middle of the night when I would have to go to the bathroom and wasn't coordinated enough for crutches!  And for cooking and going to work it was really handy.  
Best of luck to you tomorrow, and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Take care,
Lesley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 10:07:30 PM by martiniswiller »
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 12:53:40 AM »
Hi Tina!

Good luck for tomorrow!  I too had an oats operation about 1 1/2 yrs ago (medial femoral condyle, 1 autograft, about 1.5 cm diameter) and am really really pleased with the results.  My knee is even better than it was before, seems to me!
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you want more details and support.
Again, good luck tomorrow

Mary Jane

ps/ I used a cpm for the first 6 weeks, 3-4 hrs/day.  I think it made a huge difference in my recovery.
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline tina47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 04:42:49 PM »
Hey everyone..thank you so much for the comments and info...my OATS was rescheduled for 27 May due to insurance issues and hospital time...sounds like the CTM is the way to go...should I check with the insurance company before I go into surgery about the policy of getting a CTM and length it is authorized?...I have been on crutches before for 6 weeks non-weight bearing due to a microfracture proceedure on the same knee...so I know how hard it is to get around..the wheel chair is not a bad idea for cooking..that was the hardest part last time..thanks again for the info and support, I am getting nervous but positive comments from both of you about your success makes me feel better

Offline masconsumer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Young at heart but old in the knees.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 12:37:04 AM »
Tina--I used a wheelchair in the house and also a walker.  I'm on the heavy side and am not very coordinated and could not do the crutches.  The walker was easy to use but it was impossible to get up more than 2-3 steps.  Good luck!
O.A.T.S. procedure R knee, 10/03
5 Hyalgan shots R knee, Feb/Mar. 04
TKR, R knee, Aug. 2005

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »
Tina,
Sounds like you've been granted a short reprieve!  Hope your knee behaves in the meantime.  Make sure you wash your windows and get any cobwebs before surgery- that just drove me crazy looking at my windows and cobwebs and not being able to do anything about it!!!!
I would definately check with your insurance company regarding the CPM, I believe I had to pay for a few weeks out of pocket and it was about $10 a day.  Not that bad, but it does add up.  What gets me is that my insurance company thinks it knows more about my recovery than my own doctor.  I do think the CPM made a big difference in my recovery.

Best of luck to you!!!
Lesley

Offline tina47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 03:23:28 AM »
Lesley.... you must be a fly on my wall because I have been going crazy cleaning, sorting, organizing and generally getting ready for the house to be the responsibility of the kids and hubby...they do a good job but I still hate being unable to do and tend to things myself...your comments have been very helpful...I have crutches from a previous surgery (the wooden ones) my teenage daughter and her friend are going to paint and decorate them for me to make them a fashion statement (that should be fun and interesting!)...well take care and wish me luck...Tina

support