Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible bursitis 2 weeks post partial menisectomy  (Read 285 times)

Offline dotcom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible bursitis 2 weeks post partial menisectomy
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
Hello all,

I had a partial menisectomy and general tidy-up of chondromalacia patella of my right knee on the 14th February last. The surgeon had to cut away 50% of my medial meniscus and he also cut away a smaller tear of my lateral meniscus. The first week post op I was doing great. I was resting and icing and doing my rehab as best I could (I have a lively 2 year old!) but then I went back to work and now I seem to have developed a pocket of swelling on the lateral side of the knee. Itís very tender to touch and can be quite sore by the end of the day. Does it sound like possible bursitis or something else? Iím seeing the surgeon in 5 days but Iím just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Thanks!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Possible bursitis 2 weeks post partial menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
Try ice massage, oil the skin with bio oil or olive oil and rub an ice cube over the area. Keep the cube moving to avoid ice burn. Or a good old bag of peas or ice pack as similar as you've presumably been doing since the op anyhow. And rub the inflamed area with voltaren gel assuming you're not intolerant to NSAIDs
Are you seeing a physio? And are you elevating during the day whenever you can at work as well as at home?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline dotcom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »
Thanks Vickster, I will try the ice massage. Iím still taking celecoxib twice a day so I havenít been using Voltaren gel as I believe youíre not supposed to take both at the same time. Iím not seeing a physio. I just canít seem to find the time what with working full time and having a toddler. My husband has been working 7 days a week since the op so having someone to mind my daughter can be difficult. Iím not able to elevate my leg at work unfortunately! I think the ice massage could really help though, thank you.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:43 PM »
My rheumatologist has recommended I use both (up to twice a day) if required, so it's ok as long as sensible (assume you are using a stomach protector with prolonged NSAID use?)

You really should ask work if you can elevate (desk job?), they should accommodate you post op. Ask to do an ergonomic desk set up again as your health has changed. Ditto with seeing a physio in work time if required? Not one close to work that you could go to?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline dotcom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
I donít have a desk job as such and when I get to sit down, itís usually for no more than ten minutes but I will raise the leg more if I can at all. Iíve looked into physiotherapists near my work place but apparently there arenít any. I work in an area with an abundance of alternative therapists but apparently no straight forward physios! Thanks for all the great tips. I put voltarol gel on my knee last night and it definitely helped! Good to know I can use it alongside the celecoxib.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
Just donít use too much and make sure your stomach is protected when using (a PPI pill or at least food which you need with the celecoxib too of course). Try ice as an alternative if possible  :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15