Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Loose body / osteochondritis dissecans  (Read 68 times)

Offline Skier1212

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose body / osteochondritis dissecans
« on: April 19, 2022, 09:21:05 PM »
Hi there

[/size

Long story short, I have bilateral osteochondritis dissecans of the medial femoral condyle in both knees. In 2018, I had subchondral bone drilling, articular cartilage repair (fixation with screws) and loose body removal. This surgery was a great success and I have had no problems since.

Fast forward 4 years and I have just (5 weeks ago) had surgery on my other knee. With this knee, I noticed a loose body but actually had no pain before surgery. However, was advised that surgery was necessary. Loose body was felt by the assistant surgeon who I had the meeting with and was suspected also from the MRI and CT scans.

However, the surgeon who actually did the operation reported that he found no loose body in joint. He just repaired the area of damage (cartilage that was still attached like a flap and performed bone grafting) and that was it. I pushed him after the surgery as to why he did not find anything / whether he looked hard enough. The thing I felt was like the last time- a loose body that moved really free in knee and could be manipulated by hand

He was adamant that there was nothing there. Please bear in mind I had the consultation initially with the assistant and he was the one that felt it but the surgeon knew it was there prior to surgery as he saw scans and I told him.

He says it is feasible that when they opened me up (they did arthroscope and large open incision) that it somehow came out with the water they flood your joint with. My question is: is this possible? Or is there some other way it could no longer be in my knee? From what I felt prior to surgery it would have measured 0.5cm-1cm ish maybe.

Thanks

support