Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Light at the end of the patella fracture tunnel.  (Read 683 times)

Offline Thrillhouse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Light at the end of the patella fracture tunnel.
« on: February 27, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »
About 11 months ago, I was tree skiing, caught some heavy sun baked snow and was thrown into a tree. My patella hit the tree and was broken into 7 pieces in the shape of the small tree.
I wanted to post here because when I was injured I read this forum a lot and it gave me hope and insight into the road ahead.
Unfortunately this was extremely painful for a few months and I spent the first few months pretty much laid up in bed but it does get better. 
Skiing is really important to me and I had skied 300 days over the previous 3 years. I was scared that I might be done skiing forever after my patella fracture.
The upbeat news is that I went skiing for 3 days in Utah this month. I'm still able to do moguls. Not as fast as I used to but better than I was expecting. Best of all, there was no extra pain after the trip.
The last few months have been a marked improvement. I'm biking a bit everyday, walking at my usual speed and can do stairs without problems. My bad leg is still much smaller than the right but it's getting bigger slowly.
It's a long road but you will make it. Do your pt, push the pt to give you more. Try not to lose hope.

Offline mkylling

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Light at the end of the patella fracture tunnel.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
Hi, sounds good... I’m 6,5 month away, still in pain when “pushing it” and atrophy. This gives me hope... i didn’t have any operation. Just told to “relax” and given cruthes... Patience is the answer. Do you have any pain when jumping, om your landings? Though atrophy, is your strengt ok?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:38:57 PM by mkylling »

Offline Thrillhouse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 04:58:43 AM »
I did some small side of the trail jumps and that went fine. Nothing major though, I tried not to push it too much.

Jarring the knee seemed to bother it the most, so like steep moguls where I had to make hard stops, and trying to push into heavy snow and turning on ice.

Making nice arching carves on groomers felt great though, as did lower angle moguls.

The strength is ok, maybe 80-90% of the good leg but it can too the job for most things.

It has been feeling better over time. I noticed it was getting a lot better past 6 months and there's days it barely hurts at all now.

So hopefully things we will start to get better for you soon for you.

Offline axand

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Glad to hear that everything went fine for you. Did you had the hardware removed or you didn't undergo surgery? I am also around 7 months or so from my incident, but I still have the screws/wires in the knee.

But with PT and with the time I also have the feeling that it improves. I had been skiing, but only for learning my kid to ski.. so it was a very low intensity and on the easiest slopes :)

Is you knee still swollen? Or when it started to look more normal? Mine still is 4cm bigger then the good knee.

Offline Thrillhouse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:43:32 PM »
 I was living in Colorado when I was injured and moved back to Chicago after the injury. So I have different surgeon here and he doesn't want to take someone's else's hardware out for another 6 months.

It's been getting noticeably better month to month though and I'll wait until I hit a plateau before I get it taken out.

And yeah, it's pretty big and nasty looking haha. I'm not sure how much of that is swelling vs just how my knee is going to look now. I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo over the top of it after I get the hardware out