Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unfortunatly I am back  (Read 525 times)

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Unfortunatly I am back
« on: January 04, 2019, 03:56:23 AM »
I had microfracture surgery in march of 2018 on a 2 by 2 cm grade 4 defect in my medial femur condyle. All seemed to go to rehab schedule afterwards (yes it was hard and long but that's the normal rehab). I was almost able to do everything just limiting jumping and bending  and not sitting on my knee . All went very well till the end of november. By then I had the flu and I noticed my knee was more sore, then I thought it is because of being ill and inactive. Over the last month it slowly got worse. But now since last week it is detoriating fast. It sometimes stings while standing on it but the worst is now in rest. When I just sit on the couch or lay in bed it either burns, stings or sometimes an  irritating but not very painful feeling. Knee isn't swelling up. I made an appointment with my OS but that is two weeks ahead still. I am now worried my microfracture surgery result is already ending. Maybe it is just a complication from it and microfracture is still doing its work?

Does anyone recognise this? Any Advice is very welcome.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 44
Re: Unfortunatly I am back
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:26:50 AM »
It could be synovial inflammation triggered by the surgery, or maybe even neuropathic pain (i.e the surgery triggered pain pathways which signal pain, even though the surgery was successful) - or both.

I'm pretty sure both these things happened to me following my meniscus trim in 2012 - the surgery was the last straw for knees which were already spiraling downwards due to heavy training & racing, leading to chronic synovial inflammation which then cemented neural pathways in my knees which made them too sensitive, even when the underlying damage had largely resolved.

I used Dr Dyes protocols to get a lot of relief, though I'm not out of the woods yet.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2019 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply SuspectDevice,

I think that synovial inflammation might be a possibility. Looked it up and it could be. Also thinking of bone overgrowth or too weak cartillage that grew on the spot (these to more specific for cartillage repair / MF).

I think if it was neuropathic pain that I should have felt it more earlier. I read that many people say that it might go away in a year after surgery.

I quickly tried to google Dr Dye protocol but it wasn't so easy to find.

Still a week to go before I see my OS. Im trying to google, I know i probably won't find it. But keeping hope...

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
Dr Scott Dye videos here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLisqHx8sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fybd4MZe3jk

Bottom line - if it is synovial inflammation, it requires massive activity modification, anti-inflamatories & time & patience to get it to settle.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2019 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
Thanks for the videos.

Thursday is my appointment with the OS. Think I need to ask for a MRI to know how the microfracture side is doing. Can you see synovial fluid on MRI?

I read that they can diagnose it by stinging a needle in it and collecting some fluid. Is this the only way?

Im not a very active person, yes I like walking but on being very active I only do sports for one hour a week (or did for now...). Walking and cycling should not really trigger it i guess.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:32:04 PM »
I think an inflamed or thickened synovium can be seen on MRI. A knee should be well lubricated with synovial fluid. Do you have arthritis and thus less lubrication? Perhaps your OS could give you a hyaluronic acid injection which lubricates and can reduce inflammation.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
That would be great, I still think that the main cause is something with failed (or end of result) from the microfracture. But if all possible diagnoses could be seen on MRI would be great.

About the injection, is it like a temporarly solution? Like last time it helped me for 3 months. It isn't as bad as last time, most likely because I got no loose bone in my knee now. I can kinda deal with daily life if I take enough rest.

I finish my pre master in a couple of weeks and then I got 6 months before my master starts. I really hope to be able to start then so if any treatment (surgery) is needed I should not wait too long to be able to recover in time. I know you can't rush your health and it is most important (as a health science student) but I at least want to try for it.

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
So today I had my appointment and I got good news: nothing wrong with the microfracture side and my x-ray knee looks fine.

He pressed my kneecap and the left (inner) side it hurt me immidiatly. Same pain as feeling most of the time after some activity. But he said it is annoying, painful might take a long time to recover but it can't harm the knee.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
That's good news, perhaps you can find a physio who has some expertise in treating patellofemoral type issues and getting all the muscles working in harmony to get the kneecap area tracking properly
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
To suspectdevice: you were right, after some research found out that a plica is filled with synovial fluid. Im now almost certain it is that, exact location of the pain and it matches my symptoms. Thank you! Think i manage to research dr dye next week.

Im now icing it 3 times a day, even if I don't feel it is necessary. Sometimes it feels a lot colder then other times after exercises. So far I am slowly improving. Besides taking a walk with the dog I am keeping it easy. The cold Dutch weather is good for my knee Now I guess.

I found some youtube videos with exercises for plica syndrome. Do you think you can do m on your own without pt or is that not a good plan? Of course I know if it hurts too much to quit.

Any other (non standard) advise?