Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Everything is impossible until someone puts the work in  (Read 212 times)

Offline PwordsB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
Everything is impossible until someone puts the work in
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »
Hi, all.  It's a new year and I'm feeling quite positive.

Three years ago, when I was 25, I wrecked my knee snowboarding.  Since then, I've had three operations, constant pain and all the horrors that many of you have faced.  Various experts have told me I'll never snowboard, run, jump, climb, surf, or do anything I love again.  My first surgeon told me I would be having a knee replacement before I hit 30 and my life was pretty much over in terms of activity.

They were right - I never will run or jump again, but contrary to what they think is possible, I'm going to be able to.  I won't do it because it'll kill my knee off more quickly, but it's going to be my choice, not my injury's.   You see, after three years of relentless hard work trying to find that precious balance between rest and physio, scraping myself back up after every mistake or set back that felt like it was over, I am finally at a point where I can truthfully say that I'm doing okay.  I am a dusty shadow of my former self and that's not going to change, but I'm also more able now than I have been since my injury and more able than the surgeons (or gods, as they feel like to me) said I ever would be.

On Christmas morning, I made my girlfriend cry.  We used to do gymnastics together and I was always throwing her around or just carrying her to bed when she fell asleep on the sofa, but I haven't been able to even try to pick her up since January 2016.  But on Christmas morning, I picked her up and carried her around the room.  Now that was special.  We are actually planning to go on a ski season in November and I WILL snowboard.  It won't be near the standard that I used to ride at, but I can go back home to those beautiful mountains.

The point I am trying to make is really simple:

I'm still in pain, and I'm still having set backs, and I'm still not safe from making mistakes that could knock me back a year, and I'm still very, very sad at all the time and happiness I have lost to this injury...  But when those knee gods told me that there was no light at the end of the tunnel and I believed them, I spent three years smashing my way through the walls instead and I can hear the fresh air singing to welcome me home. 

Don't give up, friends.  It doesn't matter whether your dreams are possible or not, it's the journey you take whilst you're chasing them that makes the world bearable.  Humans have proved for thousands of years that the rules of this life change every day. 
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Offline sarahangius

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Everything is impossible until someone puts the work in
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:49:40 PM »
Great thinking! You are really a strong person. your positive thinking will definitely reach you to the success and May god relieve all your pains. If you continuous thinking positive you will fulfill all your dreams.  If we think positive then all your problems will resolve.