Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quads pain after osteotomy  (Read 168 times)

Offline PwordsB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 12
Quads pain after osteotomy
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Happy new year, everybody!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this:

I had a distal femoral medial osteotomy in August.  I'm doing very well, finally managing to lift some weights and my leg is starting to look like there might be some muscles in there somewhere.  Lately, I'm having a very sharp pain in my quads during certain motions.  Interestingly, weight squats and lunges are fine, along with leg extension and most quad exercises.  But when I do stiff leg dead lifts, for example (picture me bending down to tie my shoe lace without bending my legs), my vastus medialis area feels like it's torn or something. I don't think it is a pulled muscles because the pain doesn't bother me much except during specific motions, but it is starting to impact my rehab so I need to correct it. I've tried everything I can do from home, such as stretches and massage and whatnot.

Question:  Could this be the dreaded plate irritation that I've read about?  And if so, do you think it's probably normal for the plate to irritate me as the muscles begin to grow and it'll probably be fine once my nerves realise it's not a threat?  I'm not going to see my surgeon until February 06th for an opinion.  I will see my physio next week, but usually I don't get much sense out of them.  I am having a sports massage on my upper body on Friday, so I will ask him for his thoughts as well.

P.S. I know the answer is rest and hopefully it'll clear up, I'm just at that part where I can finally start training reasonably well again and my soul reaaaalllllllllyyyyyy doesn't want to rest for another second.

Thanks!
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18