Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Non-Displaced Patella fracture  (Read 716 times)

Offline dawn.knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Non-Displaced Patella fracture
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

I fractured my patella on June 17-2017 ,Luckily non displaced with a couple of more hair line cracks here and there-thats what the Os described it as but good enough within the bounds of no surgery required.He Got me on to a velcro splint once i had a concerned for a cast but took an assurance that there should be no bending of Knee from my side and i made sure not to do the same. returned to the OS after week 6 completion got an x ray union was visible and he told me just go home and bend your knees and start walking get rid of the splint too. I expected some sought of physio any how got back home and tried doing the same .
Walking- My knee was wobbly just couldnt do it
bending- my knee was stiff i felt woul break it again if i did try and it was painful

anyhow i decided im not going to give up and did try doing the same and YESS!! i can bend it a bit now though its painful but i guess  i have to push my self.

its day three  after  the splint removed im exercising  at home and making sure i can bend it and surely its happening guess it would take time

Offline Vrinda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Non-Displaced Patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
Hi, I was diagnosed with a non displaced patella fracture on Dec 20, 2018 after a fall. My questions are:
1. My Dr told me to come back after a week. Meanwhile my leg is in a backslab held in with a crepe bandage that I can remove to shower. I am not allowed to bend the knee.
2. I have been given crutches and told that I must not bear weight on the leg with fractured patella.

My questions: how long before weight bearing is allowed? I canít sleep on my back. Iíve been sleeping on my side or even face down. Is that ok?

Offline Gaby_cam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »
Hi, I was diagnosed with a non displaced patella fracture on Dec 20, 2018 after a fall. My questions are:
1. My Dr told me to come back after a week. Meanwhile my leg is in a backslab held in with a crepe bandage that I can remove to shower. I am not allowed to bend the knee.
2. I have been given crutches and told that I must not bear weight on the leg with fractured patella.

My questions: how long before weight bearing is allowed? I canít sleep on my back. Iíve been sleeping on my side or even face down. Is that ok?

Hi Vrinda! Welcome!

I dont know if its ok you sleep on your side or face down, but the fact you are not feeling pain by doing this seems like a good sign. Are you taking any pills for pain? I'm having a hard time sleeping since my fracture (4 weeks) but dont fell confortable in to sleep in any position other than my back.

The question about FWB or not is quite controversia. Some doctors like to play more conservative than others. Maybe your doctors is not allowing you to bear weight to minimize the risk of the fracture to displace. I was allowed FWB since day one as long as i keep my knee locked all time. No bending at all. Wearing a velcro immobilizer... No crutches but using a kind of hard elastic to help me with lifting my leg, it was a savior for my independece (i live by my own). Coming back with your question, i think the answer will be your pain level when trying bear weight. i didnt fell, my leg was stable. Maybe your doctor will validate that when you see him in next appointment.

ps. Sorry for my english skills, really nedd to improve it. :)

Offline Vrinda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »
Thank you Gaby!