Author Topic: Scars?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Georgie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • TTT right leg Sept. 00 and TTT left leg June 02
Scars?
« on: July 18, 2002, 06:44:58 AM »
Hey everyone~
I was just wondering what everyone has tried and has had luck with on their scars?  I am trying Merderma this time around. I tried Vitamin E only on my other leg. Has anyone tried Merderma?  Did it work well? Take care, Georgie

Iona_-Uk

Re: Scars?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 08:01:34 PM »
My accupuncturist recommends a vitamin E capsules. Though not to take, to split and rub into the scars.

I did this post op for a laparoscopy and the results were good.

Iona

Stacey

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 09:47:25 PM »
Hello Georgie

I use cocoa butter on my scars.  My portholes from a LR 2 years ago are pretty much gone. and the ones from 4 months ago are quite faded.  I dont know if it will work on big scars or not because my big LR scar was cut out when my new OS did my reconstruction.  Pretty much anything is worth a try and cocoa butter is really cheap.  I used the stick from teh body shop (it doesnt get on your hands and get them all greasy) and the lotion from shoppers drug mart.  Plus bonus is it smells good, kinda summery

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 09:55:32 PM »
I have used E capsules, Mederma and now I am using Shea butter from L'Occitane...it is the greatest stuff ever.  You can get products with Shea Butter from Body Shop and Bath and Body Works...but the 100% Shea Butter from L'Occitane is the best.  For a small tin of it is $6...the big tin is $35.  The stuff is totally addictive and my OS is VERY impressed with the results.  
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Georgie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 03:47:01 AM »
Jennifer~
I never heard of shea butter. I will check it out.  

Thanks for everyone elses ideas, I'm going to try the Merderma and maybe vitamin e also. Take care all, Georgie

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 04:15:00 AM »
Georgie~~~~

Shea butter is more well known for helping to prevent stretch marks  :o  :o  L'Occitane has a number of products that contain it and they explain a bit about it on their website.    They also have a number of boutique stores in the US and abroad (they are a French company).  I use the 100 % on scars and it really makes them soft and supple.  I use the Mederma still too.  I just keep forgetting the Mederma...3X a day, blah, blah, blah.

I use the shea butter for general skin moisturizing...I also use their shampoo and conditioner for hair (I am totally hooked  ::) ).  The 100 % can be used for chapped lips and I even use it on the ends of my hair to control fly away and split ends...it is an illness  :-/

I like the Body Shop version second best...it is part of their body butter line...you get a pretty big container of 15 % for $15.  Bath and Body Works put it in a special spa product and then they have it in their fragranced hand lotions (and I wouldn't recommend that at all for scars).

Good luck.  I am going to be working on my foot surgery scar in the next weeks so we can compare notes.

Jennifer

« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 04:17:25 AM by Jennifer »
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 07:02:10 PM »
I'm using Vit. E cream from "Fruit of the Earth" and the stuff is amazing for ALL OVER use!!!.  Seems to be helping my 7" TTT scar alot.

7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline Georgie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2002, 09:28:08 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great input. Georgie

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M & L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 01:55:20 AM »
I am using both the Fruit of the Earth Face Cream with Vitamin E - use this all the time to help keep the knee and scars from being dry, and the Vitamin E oil - use this once a day and thumb message it on the scars.  I don't think that my scars are doing to bad 6 1/2 weeks post op.  One of them is like almost faded.

Khaoskat

support