Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How do I know when it's time for PKR?  (Read 395 times)

Offline mrkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
How do I know when it's time for PKR?
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:39 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm fairly new here, but I found so much useful info, I decided to dive in to this forum :)
My history: male, almost 30 yo, mildly bow-legged, very active back then, medium activities now (mostly gym, no exercises for my legs though). 2007: right knee scope debribement, 2017: left knee microfracture on a larger area.
The thing is that I'm gonna need a femoral osteotomy at some point, which I'd like to connect with a PKR. I know I'm damn young for this, but microfracture rehab was pretty harsh, and it's almost like a 50-50 procedure...I do not want a surgery every other year.
Currently I don't really have pain in my left knee (right knee is surprisingly good for some reason), even though I'm 1.5 years post-op MFX surgery. Sometimes I have to stand (I have a car and a desk job, FYI) for a bit longer than it's okay, on 2 occasions my left knee (which had mfx) got pretty bad, I had to lift and rest it for almost a day. The same happens (sometimes) when I go shopping, I walk, I stop, I walk again, you know. When my left knee gets bad, it's clearly the spot, when mfx was performed. Otherwise I'm good, a few weeks ago I walked like 15 kilometers during holiday, I had zero symptoms I believe. So it's pretty strange.
I'm wonder if anyone had microfracture (since I'm bow-legged, it is the inner side), and what were the signs of it's wearing out? For eg. right now I'm feeling something while I'm sitting, then I start to walk, and basically, no pain at all...I really don't know if I have weeks, or maybe years left before another surgery.  I'm taking supplements, my weight is almost perfect, I'm on the bike at home at least 3 times a week, and zero painkillers etc, only vitamins.
Any input is highly welcome :)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: How do I know when it's time for PKR?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »
You seem like a good candidate to consider a high tibial osteotomy. Femoral osteotomy is usually (but not always) for a valgus (knock knee) problem.

I trust someone here will help answer your question, but you will also find a lot of patients' stories here - http://www.osteotomyexpertgroup.com/
--
KNEEguru

Offline mrkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
Thanks for your input! HTO is unfortunately out of the options, they've done x-rays on both legs and according to my doc the femur needs to be corrected, even though it's the harder way to correct the axis. I'm on a diet, having supplements, doing the bike, and I figured it'a way way better to not stress about it.
One thing was a plus: I finally pulled the trigger and got my leg tattooed under my knee, since HTO will not mess it up :)

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
Hi, where did u have the MF? Femur?

Offline mrkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:58 AM »
Hi, where did u have the MF? Femur?

Hey,

sorry for the delayed reply!  I believe it was performed on "primer CMF", unfortunately I'm not sure what that part is, even though I read a lot about the whole thing :)

support