Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: JointStem success  (Read 150 times)

Offline silver_maple

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
  • Protect your knees
Re: JointStem success
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike. A positive development that I'll explore a little further. Just from reading the corporate press release, the following would be good to know:

1) Testing was done on patients with arthritis grade K-L 3 or worse (this is advanced or severe). Would an approved drug be restricted only for K-L 3 or 4, or would use of the drug be allowed on lesser grades of arthritis to "nip it in the bud", so to speak?

2) The primary evaluation variables and some of the secondary ones - WOMAC, VAS, KOOS - are subjective, patient reported. While arguably how one feels is the only thing that matters, patients' self-ranking of pain, stiffness, etc on a numerical scale is a tricky thing. Harder measures such as X-rays and MRI showed much less improvement.

3) There are many other treatments - e.g. PRP, HA, Lipogems and BM-MSC - that show temporal improvements in WOMAC, VAS or KOOS. An interesting comparison would be to stack up JointStem against these alternatives.

It is notable South Korea is at the forefront of stem cell and gene therapy research for OA. Tissuegene-C/Invossa is the most advanced on the gene front, I am not sure where exactly it's at at the moment.

Over the longer term gene therapy may be the horse to bet on (or at least be another good arrow in the quiver), esp. if the now popular mRNA delivery is adopted, in a shift from the currently dominant viral vector delivery. Personally I am not too hung up on the need for repeated application (e.g weekly) if the injected mRNA triggers the chondrocytes to transiently express collagen II and the required mix of proteoglycans, principally aggrecan. It's been successfully tried in animal models already.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep18743
2019 - Chondromalacia patella gr 1-2, both knees; early bilateral tibio-femoral arthritis; 5mm focal chondral lesion (LK); degenerate meniscus tear (RK)
2020 - PRP x3 in RK
2021 - PRP x3 in RK, PRP x1 in LK

Offline Mikewithers86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: JointStem success
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 11:11:32 PM »
Great questions, and I would have a difficult time answering them with certainty. But, it will be interesting if nature cell try to get approval for the drug as a disease modifying agent or as something that solely provides symptom relief. Often times company’s aim to treat those who have the most severe disease and if their is efficacy then they will continue with trials for those with less damage.

I believe they might define it as disease modifying because it prevented progression for many. I guess it depends on how one defines structural improvement. In regards to gene therapy, I agree that it is more than likely the future but may take decades. That said, tissuegene-c by Kolon hit a huge snag after the drug was discovered to be of kidney origin. But, after the FDA looked over their data they deemed that it was safe to continue their phase 3 American trial. The concern was viral budding rather than fear of the HEK-293 cells increasing ones chance of cancer. I suspect some combination of stem cell , gene therapy and drug therapy will all play a role in helping those of us with this disease.

support