Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 18 months post surgery -- seeing my 3rd Ortho for ROM  (Read 439 times)

Offline Douglas Firs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
18 months post surgery -- seeing my 3rd Ortho for ROM
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:15:18 AM »
I've posted here sporadically, but will be checking in frequently now.

Background: Type V Bicondylar TPF. Surgery June 2017. Small plate, 7 screws.

Original Ortho Surgeon last examined me 6 months post surgery, said bone looks good, everything fine. "Good Luck and Goodbye." Even though I had +5 degrees extension and 100 degrees flexion,  swelling, pain, and a limp as I left his office.

I did months of physical therapy which accomplished literally nothing. I did not gain even one degree of extension.

Saw 2nd Ortho June 2018 (1 year post surgery). He looked at knee/x-ray, said "live with your +5 degrees of extension and limp." did not even offer to do an MRI/CAT scan, even though i pointed out that my symptom pattern indicates a possible meniscus  tear, and it would be worth it to me to investigate.

Discouraged and angry at carelessness of these doctors, for past 6 months. No improvement in ROM. Knee still slightly swollen and still visibly limping, stiffness and varying degrees of inflammation from day to day. Sharp pains on medial side of knee when pressing down at certain angles.

Saw new "Sports Medicine" Ortho this week. He agrees with me that I should pursue 0 degree extension, and that "living with"  +5 degrees extension is not desirable, as it increases risk of osteoarthritis.  He gave me a cortisone shot and a prescription for this goofy device called "The Extensionator", which is basically a strap that holds your leg in extension with a small amount of pressure (something, as I explained to him, which I have ALREADY BEEN DOING FOR 18 MONTHS WITHOUT RESULTS).

Really exasperated.  At this point, I honestly believe I have some kind of ligament/Mensicus tear on the medial side, because that is where ALL my pain/swelling/knee locking is occurring. I just want to get a damn CT scan and have it "scoped".

Somehow, I have managed to come under the care of the only 3 surgeons in North America who are pathologically OPPOSED to running basic imaging tests/performing arthroscopy.  Every other person I meet has had gratuitous surgery PUSHED on them by Orthos.

I feel like I have done a year's worth of unnecessary damage to my knee, walking on it, when the extension deficiency/tear might have been corrected by the initial surgeon.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:28:33 AM by Douglas Firs »

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: 18 months post surgery -- seeing my 3rd Ortho for ROM
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:12:43 AM »
Hi Douglas,

I am sorry that you are still having trouble with extension and ROM.  I was given a cortisone injection last year and really did nothing to help my ROM.  You may request a follow up with your OS if you see no improvement in a few weeks.

When the metal implant and screws were removed this year I had arthroscopic surgery that included microfracture and some meniscus shaving.  I did ask my OS in a follow up appointment how would we know if the procedure worked.  He said that only with an MRI but they usually do no request the test as it is very expensive!!

Have you discussed metal implant removal?  I am sure that an OS would be amenable to do some scoping at the  same time they remove the plate and screws. 

Good luck dealing with your new doctor and wish you the best.

Bella

Offline Douglas Firs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
Thanks, Bella.

I've read your thread about metal removal.

My latest Ortho says my metal is not my problem (7 screws) and he sees no reason to remove it. My last Ortho said,  flippantly, that he would remove the metal if I wanted, but that it 'wouldn't accomplish anything'. (Can you imagine a doctor saying this? Saying he would perform major surgery that 'would not accomplish anything'? I am so frustrated with these idiotic doctors. There is something wrong with them. They think everything is a joke.)

I cannot 'feel' the metal in my knee, that I am aware of. I'm conflicted about removing it. I know that some people recommend it, some don't; some surgeons advise it, some don't. I'm not eager to have another surgery, because I am concerned about MORE scar tissue developing as a result. I don't know right now.

I have a kind of weird protuberance and swelling on my medial lower knee, where my sharp pain and 'blocky', stuck feelings are located.  I've read that this could very well be the site of a meniscus tear/cyst. The more I focus on the sensation in my knee, it doesn't feel 'achy' all over like arthritis, or 'obstructed' as from arthrofibrosis, so much as it feels like this one little painful area on the medial lower side is causing it to 'stick' at the end of ROM.

My new surgeon said he would give me an investigative CT scan (MRI won't work on knees containing metal), but first he wants to try this ridiculous 'Extensionator' device. Maybe I did not adequately stress to him that I have been doing weighted 'Extension' exercises religiously for 18 months without benefit. Very frustrating that these doctors do not seem to hear anything I say.

I have a followup in 6 weeks. I am considering asking for an appointment sooner. The cortisone shot has done nothing at all. Knee feels entirely the same as before.

Thanks for your help, Bella. I will be around and hopefully posting on this board regularly.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:07:30 PM by Douglas Firs »

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »
Hi Douglas:

Getting a CT scan before you get subjected to arthroscopic surgery sounds like a good plan. 

I learned that the arthroscopic surgery is no cake walk.  After almost six months, I am still working on breaking my scar tissue after the surgery. Apparently during the scoping even if the incisions are small the wounds are pretty deep as they need to get the surgeonís camera and tools to fix any defects they find.

Take care,

Bella

Offline HobbledGirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »
I had my hardware removed at just under a year after my tpf surgery. I felt immediate pain relief and recovered very quickly. I am very happy I went ahead as I lived for seven months pretty close to totally normally.

Unfortunately, my lack of articular cartilage and uneven plateau is starting to bother me now. I was told to expect a knee replacement in the future, but itís a little disappointing. Still glad I had the removal surgery - it was nothing like the insertion. My scar even looks better!
1-4-17 accident on Segway in Madrid.
3-4-17 flight to US w/ full-length plaster splint & crutches I can't use. 😂
6-4-17 surgery for highly comminuted, 1.5 cm depressed Schatzker II TPF.  ORIF: plate, 7 screws, allograft.
29-6-17 WBAT, almost full ROM, -2 mm lateral plateau
16-7-17 Heel met behind