Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sudden Onset Crepitus  (Read 258 times)

Offline Trm1692

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sudden Onset Crepitus
« on: November 18, 2018, 05:51:37 AM »
Hello everyone. New here this is my first post. I have a question and would appreciate any feedback as I am very concerned. I am a weightlifter. Over the past few years I went hard and heavy as possible in the gym and gained a ton of weight. Throughout all of my training and weight gain however I can confidently say that I never felt any knee pain or crepitus. In fact, it was probably the only thing that didnít nag me here and there lol. However the weight I ended up at was not ideal for my blood pressure. I was up to 350 lbs. (6í6Ē tall) i decided to drop some weight and it melted off. Lost 70 lbs in 3 months. As the weight started to come off my left knee started to creak along with some mild pain. Shortly after my right one started with the crepitus as well. The pain is very mild when I do experience it. More along the lines of a general discomfort. Iím worried that I may have worn out my knees and am seeing the begginings of osteoarthritis. Another theory I had was that since I rapidly lost weight and am not squatting nearly as much weight my knees are decompressing and in a sense not tracking the same and may just take some time to adjust. But thatís just a wild guess as Iím not educated in this matter which is why Iím here. What are you guys thoughts? Should I stop squatting? I have full range of motion in my knees and again only occasionally a mild pain when they move almost like itís rubbing. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Re: Sudden Onset Crepitus
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »
Hi Trm and welcome! Iím not a expert, but to me it sounds like it could be a tracking problem. My suggestion would be to book in with a physio and have it checked out now, before it gets worse and snowballs into a more complicated problem (e.g. before maltracking or whatever else is going on there upsets cartilage, ligaments, etc.) Iím not sure giving up squatting is necessarily a long term solution, as you risk getting into a vicious circle where your muscles get weaker BUT the maltracking is still there and not addressed. I was advised along those lines by a physio a few years back when I complained about pain lunging - address the issue by balancing the muscles, donít run away from it by just giving up lunging. Now that Iíve had ACL surgery obviously a whole host of muscles in the leg are firing all wrong and Iím getting occasional discomfort squatting, leg pressing etc. The physio is keeping those exercises in my programme but adding others to recruit and balance the muscles and he is monitoring and correcting my form with squats etc.
Very best of luck and hope you can sort this quickly and smoothly!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

support