Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella injury, is it CRPS?  (Read 224 times)

Offline ana654

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella injury, is it CRPS?
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum (has been such a huge help!) and hoping someone might have some thoughts on my symptoms. Apologies for the wall of text:
I had a traumatic fall onto the kneecaps at the end of June. I was running at the time and fell onto concrete, landing on the left knee with more force than the right. Normal x-ray, MRI showed a small focus of full-thickness chondral fissuring (2 x 6 mm) on the lateral facet of the patella and mild subchondral edema, otherwise normal study. The GP advised me it would heal and to continue with physio to improve quad strength. I rested from all sports for 2 months, had the knee kinesio taped and minimized all walking, continuing with a physio strengthening (quads, glutes, hips). The knee improved a lot pain-wise, the aching reduced and by September I started building up the walking. In Oct, I slowly started to build up with cross-trainer and some more loading from the physio (some skipping). At this time I started to get more aching and some burning pain. I also started to get aching in my right knee cap and both knees started to get warm and red (no swelling/tightness) for a short time in the evening (30 mins). This appeared strangely - e.g. would be warm and red in one knee for 20 mins and then in the other knee. The intense aching became more or less constant in the day, not helped by ibuprofen or paracetamol. Since this recent decline I've been resting, using NSAIDs and ice. I've had a bunch of blood tests for autoimmune and inflammation (negative) and have seen an orthopaedic surgeon, who suggested that the pain isn't consistent with the MRI findings and thinks that I may have irritated the nerves in Hoffa's fat pad and have some regional pain syndrome. The physio also doesn't think the pain is biomechanical, but the GP seems unconvinced it's neurological. As of three weeks I have been taking Mobic 15mg (to no effect) and Lyrica 150 mg (also not really sure if it's helping yet and the side effects are not easy). I've been told to keep moving, walking/swimming and continue with glute exercises.
Having read as much as I can about CRPS, I'm not sure if my symptoms fit precisely the criteria for that but also guess this is somewhat staged in appearance? (no sensitivity to touch or skin/hair changes, and the warm/redness is not happening all the time)
Also, not sure where to go next? At the consult, the orthopaedic suggested referral to pain management clinic or neurologist.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, would be hugely appreciated.. the pain is slowly driving me mad

support