Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Thinking about MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia)  (Read 251 times)

Offline dandeangeli

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thinking about MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia)
« on: November 16, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Greetings.  It is my pleasure to get to knee you.

I am only seven weeks out from my knee replacement surgery and I seem to have already developed scar tissue that has frozen my flexion at about 90 degrees.  I have been very active and involved, even riding a bike at 5 weeks, so i dont know why i have this scarring. I just hit the wall, beyond which lies the pain zone.

My PT has recommended MUA by my surgeon.  Sounds pretty horrible, and pretty much puts me back to square one.  Is there another approach?  I'm nervous about doing this, but of course I want my knee to work right.  I appreciate feedback from others who have gone down this particular road.

thanks Dan de Angeli

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Thinking about MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Dan.

I'm about 3 weeks post a partial knee replacement. I've also used the bike a fair bit as rehab, but what's really helped, is gradually lowering the seat to work at the bend degrees. I'm not sure if that's something you've considered, or if it's too late, but a thought, anyway.

Also, I've found a great deal of the remaining limiting factor for bend is the amount of swelling that remains. Are you having any issue there that might be contributing? I've found a good ice and elevation session prior to the bike/next stage of seat lowering helps get that bend greater to where I can work on the scar tissue.

best regards